USB External HD and Ghost

B

Bob S

I bought a Buslink USB 1.1 40 gig external hard drive to backup my daughter's system (XP Pro) that runs on a Dell Inspiron 8200 LapTop. I have tried everything I know, but cannot get Ghost to recognise it in DOS. I have added the additonal lines on a boot disk to the config.sys recommended by Symantec.
LASTDRIVE = Z
DEVICE = \usb\aspiohci.sys /int /all
DEVICE = \usb\aspiuhci.sys /int /all
DEVICE = \usb\aspiuhci.sys /int /all /D1
DEVICE = \usb\aspiuhci.sys /int /all /D2

Although these lines are already a part of the bootdisk that Ghost creates.

I have the Buslink hooked up directly to the laptop, with no other usb devices attached.

Buslink says they do not know and Symantec will not even give a response, except to say on their site the Buslink 1.1 is supported in Ghost 2003 (this is what I am using). The error at bootup is adapter not found. Without the boot disk(s) the drive creates an error right before automatically booting. I bought the usb drive primarily for this...any ideas or I'lll just have to sell it and start over.

Hi,

Not that this really helps you but I am and have been having exactly the same problem. I have tried everything that has been suggested (not that it's much). And still cannot get it to work. I have been trying it on a Dell Inspiron 7000 and cusotm built desktop machine and neither will work.

Hope you find a solution, and if I find one I'll be sure to let you know.

Regards,
Grfx Guru

Originally posted by Bob S
I bought a Buslink USB 1.1 40 gig external hard drive to backup my daughter's system (XP Pro) that runs on a Dell Inspiron 8200 LapTop. I have tried everything I know, but cannot get Ghost to recognise it in DOS. I have added the additonal lines on a boot disk to the config.sys recommended by Symantec.
LASTDRIVE = Z
DEVICE = \usb\aspiohci.sys /int /all
DEVICE = \usb\aspiuhci.sys /int /all
DEVICE = \usb\aspiuhci.sys /int /all /D1
DEVICE = \usb\aspiuhci.sys /int /all /D2

Although these lines are already a part of the bootdisk that Ghost creates.

I have the Buslink hooked up directly to the laptop, with no other usb devices attached.

Buslink says they do not know and Symantec will not even give a response, except to say on their site the Buslink 1.1 is supported in Ghost 2003 (this is what I am using). The error at bootup is adapter not found. Without the boot disk(s) the drive creates an error right before automatically booting. I bought the usb drive primarily for this...any ideas or I'lll just have to sell it and start over.

I found two USB drives that work well with the drivers that you found. One is from Storix (which I like the most), and the other is from Maxtor. (I have only tried these two, and one kit, where you put your own HD in the kit.) I would suggest making your boot disk with the drivers for both USB 1.1 and 2.0. Second the USB ports may have different UARTS that do not work with the drivers from Symantec. I found a USB, PCI 2.0 card from Hawking that works great in any machine that I have tried. It cost me less that $20. Both Ghost and Partion Magic, sees all file systems, NTFS, FAT32, etc. (Drive Image did not work). It even worked on a SCSI drive, where the bios on the card controlled everything. I can't believe more people do not want to you this method to back up drives. "A dos boot disk with ghost to a USB HD!!!!"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back