USB 2.0 Problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tricky2050, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Tricky2050

Tricky2050 OSNN Junior Addict

I currently have Windows Xp pro sp2 but for some reason my usb operates at usb 1.1 speeds. My motherboard is Asrock 939S56-M and has usb 2.0 ports but i have no clue as to why it won't work.

2. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

Are you using a USB hub or any device inbetween your motherboad connections and the device in question?

Also, how do you know its only working in 1.1 ?

3. Tricky2050

There are no hubs or devices between the motherboard. The usb device is connected to the motherboard directly. I am only assuming the usb is operating at 1.1 speeds as a 180mb file takes just over 3 minutes to transfer onto my 1GB usb 2.0 capable usb drive. Also when i put in a usb 2.0 device i get a pop-up stating "This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port."

4. Aprox

Thats very odd, I would say its a driver problem but the USB 2.0 drivers are built into windows so that cant be it.

Have you snooped around in BIOS to see if USB 2.0 is disabled?

5. Tricky2050

Just checked BIOS and usb 2.0 is enabled. I wish it had of been that easy :cry:.

6. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Go into device manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus Controllers category. The 2.0 controller will have Enhanced in it's name.

bush dogg likes this.
  7. Tricky2050

In Universal serial bus controllers there are 4 ports that are usb root hub and 3 that are SiS 7001 PCI to USB open host controller.

8. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

None of them have "Enhanced" somewhere in the name?

This USB FAQ has pics of what you should see. Without the enhanced controller you will not get 2.0 speeds.

Go into device manager and then at the top select View > Show hidden devices. See if anything has yellow ! marks next to it.

9. Tricky2050

Ah lol there was a yellow exclamation beside universal serial bus controller. I had to reinstall the driver and voila we have usb 2.0 :) Thanks for the help.

10. Aprox

Ah right on, I should have gone with my first thought of drivers. Oh well, glad you got it figured out.