USB 1 & 2 on the same PC

Mubbers

Shoot!
Political Access
OK so my PC year old PC came with onboard USB1 ports.

I've now upgraded to USB 2 with an addtional card.

At the mo' I have not got the hardware that needs USB 2 speeds but I am wondering if stuff like the mouse and DSL modem etc... will benefit from being put onto the USB2 ports.

In that respect how can I find out what gear actually benefits from USB2 and what stuff can be left on USB1???

Mubbers

Your mouse will prob be usb 1.1 and the same with the modem. Unless it has a hi-speed USB mark on it then it will make no diffrence in speed.

HMMMmmm I nearly went down your road - but got firewire instead. You'll find USB 2.0 is the best terminology to look out for, because it's a bit of a mine field with even people who know what they're talking about misusing the term "high speed USB". And manufacturers could mislead - insofar as some devices may (I think) work on the USB 2.0 but at the old, slow, speeds.

As to what sorts of devices could use it - they'll largely be the high bandwidth end - so think Digital Cameras, video cams, and MP3 players (like the iPod which came out closely followed by USB2 drivers). Hope this information helps

I also went down the same road as you. I've had very good experience with my USB hard drive. It does normal things. The only problem is that if I overload the USB card, the system crashes (maybe not enough power).

Cheers!

There was a performance improvement, my USB drive is now nearer to me and is thus easier to reach.

Seriously though, thanks for the info :)

Mubbers

P.S> Note to self: must buy more USB 2 gear!!

Originally posted by Jason Roberts
I also went down the same road as you. I've had very good experience with my USB hard drive. It does normal things. The only problem is that if I overload the USB card, the system crashes (maybe not enough power).

Have you tried a USB hub, they are powered and this might sort out your problem..?

Mubbers

There is no benefit at all using USB2 if you only have the first generation of USB devices.
However, you should be able to use more USB devices at the SAME time on USB2 since it has a higher bandwidth (whereas you were limited on USB1).

Originally posted by ming
However, you should be able to use more USB devices at the SAME time on USB2 since it has a higher bandwidth (whereas you were limited on USB1).
hm, good point. but does anyone know if it's true?

say, having 10 usb1.1 drives on a usb2.0 port compared to a usb1.1 port. would there be a difference or would the usb2 port be in usb1.1 mode?

so... sidestep the question and put in a firewire card too (removing USB 1 if short on cards, maybe?) then you have covered all your options - and I think firewire has somewhat superior power management (sometimes a USB bug-bear)

Originally posted by MainframeGuy
so... sidestep the question and put in a firewire card too (removing USB 1 if short on cards, maybe?) then you have covered all your options - and I think firewire has somewhat superior power management (sometimes a USB bug-bear)
true, firewire is better for storage-type devices such as external harddrives and camcorders, but usb2 is quite a bit more universal. not to mention he already bought the card.

lastly, his usb1 ports are onboard.
:)

USB 2.0 for Sony Flash Disk and Coffee Cup Warmer - didn't think it could be so versatile huh?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back