US Military

lancer - I am retired from the US Air Force after 23 1/2 years of service. I went on active duty in the AF two weeks after I graduated from high school. I spent 6 weeks in basic training, 1 year in an electornics tech school, and out of the remainder, did 17 1/2 years overseas (including 2 Southeast Asia tours - you may have heard of the VietNam conflict!) 3 years in Japan and 12 1/2 years in England and Germany! I joined the Air Force for all the wrong reasons - first and foremost was to get away from my home in PA! (What do you expect from an 18 year old?) But I have never looked back and never would - in the long term - I made out OK - but could have done better. I have an ex-son-in-law who asked me what if anything I would have done different in my AF career, and I told him I would have gotten my college degree and become an officier - for the bigger paycheck that goes with the officier's rank. My ex-son-in-law was an enlisted crew chief for over 10 years - but burned the midnight oil and got his college degree (paid for in the most part by the AF), went to Officier's Training School and then went on to pilot training. He is now an Aircraft Commander on a C-5!!

Trust me - it will be very hard finacially on you and your family while you are in the lower ranks of the military - as the pay is comparatively low - although the guarntee of always receiving a check is there!

It sounds like you have a prety good idea of what you want to do and how you want to do it! The only one that can say what is best for you is you. Everyone has different goals in life and end up with diffeent ways of acheiving their goals. You have to make up your own mind and go for what you think is best!

I loved my military time - I have two daughters who have seen Disneyland in Japan, the Tower of London, most of the United States and a British born wife who is a citizen of the US!

lancer - I am not saying the military is for everyone - it worked out great for me! Oh - did I mention I cleared over $21,000 a year in retired pay for the past 16 years???

Well at least someone has said some good and not all negative.

My plans are to enlist, then get naturalised and then apply to officer school. I certainly don't plan on being englisted my career of even for more than two terms (4yrs each i think i'll sign for). So as you said i do have a plan and a clear path i want to take, the specific job i get is important, but i am flexible with regards to different job placements.

Now i take it you've been out of the service for 16yrs, i know in that time a ton has chnaged, the difference in pay is now only 5%, also they now pay 100% of BAH (housing costs). Plus various other crap. so comparatively, i would be paid on an e-1 almost as much in basic pay and allowances as what i'm paid now about $40k now ($30k in the service). I'm looking to be a lifer, so in your opinion damnyanky, which is better a 4yr enlistment or a 6 yr (a six year has an advance promotion programme)?

Thanks for all the advice guys.

yes, lancer it has been awhile since I have been on active duty and I know the pay has changed (for the better since I have been in) thank God!

Now 6 years with the enhanced promotion or 4 years? I would suggest 6 years with the enhanced promotion (increasing your pay). I don't know if it still exsists, but we used to be able to curtail our current enlistment in order to reenlist (as in receive a reenlistment bonus) anytime after completeing three years. You'll have to check with your recruiter to see if that still exsists. Also we used to incur an addtional 2 years of inactive reserve after we completed our 1st 4 year enlistment - but could avoid that with 6 years of active duty.

Sounds like you have a good plan of attack - just remember, get everything in writting - if they won't put it in writting for you - chances are they can not guarantee it and are just blowing smoke trying to get you to enlist. Good luck with your plans!

Don't get me wrong lancer, I enjoyed the military overall, I am just trying to give you the heads up so you can too. I know LOTS of folks that got lied to and hated their "sentance" because of it. If you follow what I posted above it will prevent that from ever happening and you can enjoy your service like I did. I had alot of good times, as well as some not so good times. But that comes with everything.

None of wanted to discourage you lancer, we just didn't want to see you get burned by some of the less 'savory' recruiters. To be fair, most recruiters are honest and respectable guys, and will get you in writing what you need if it is in their power.

And, I know alot of the non-military people are going to find this corny, but it does my heart good to see a young person like you signing on the dotted line.

Best of luck to you!

I'm joining the Marine Corps. in a few months. My ship date is August 8. That means after August 8, I'll disappear from OSNN for around three months. Barring injuries, I'll be back for 10 days after boot camp before I go to combat training. My job in the Marine Corps. would be Command and Control Communications, but every marine has every chance of being in the front lines as the next. I qualify for officer's training since I'll be getting a bachelors before I go in (In my last semester now), but decided to go in as an enlisted soldier. I chose the marines because I like the reputation. If I was going to go into war, I want to go into it with the best. If I like my first four years, I might think of officer's training and being a lifer, but for now, I've only signed up for four years to test the waters. Lots of my assumptions are probably pretty naive, but this was my choice and I will learn like everyone does. I've heard some pretty screwed up stories about the military, but I've also heard and seen a lot of people come out of it a better person ... and this might sound cliche, but I love my country, it is an honor and my duty to serve it.

Well done Vern, maybe one day we'll meet.... :) but i doubt your call sign will be Vern then. :)

Maveric169 said:
the ARMY was the only branch that garenteed your job in writting. Not sure if that has changed,

...Do not sign up for a 6 year term unless your job requires it!! Nice thing about that is you get the re-up bonus, plus (in the ARMY anyway) you get choice of stations....re-up'ing you can talk your way to get additional schools for other cool jobs or more pay.

No matter what, the MOST important thing, GET IT IN WRITTING!!!!!!!!!

First quote, not true, ever service since after the draft was abolished has had guaranteed jobs, they just go in waves, and it is dependent on your ASVAB Test.

Second, nope not neccesarily true... how long did it take you to make E-4 how about E-5? I was a Cryptologic Technician Maintenance from 1990-1999 I made E-4 in 12 months (after completing my A-school) and I received a 6k enlistment bonus (All because CTMs are in the Navys AEF Advanced Electronics Field) as for my first Re-up I still received $24,000 as my first reenlistment bonus I would have received 48000 but the first 2 years of the reenlistment was canceled out because i orig signed up for 6. In the Navy if you get top in class for your rate you get either choice of orders (and with that you can choose location OR another C-school)

Third, absolutely... As I mentioned any service will give you something in writing, even if you have to tell them your joining A because of X,Y and Z...

THe biggest thing I would say is... talk to people who are doing the job you want... get the information right from the horses mouth as it were without your recruiter around, they are the spin doctors, and its their job, yours is to know what is BS and what they are speaking the truth about.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for!!

Kudos to lancer and vern for their career choices. I thought "Duty, Honor, Country" died with Disco...thank God I was wrong!
I don't know alot about Air Force Basic Training, but I do know what vern is in for...my best friend from High School was a Marine, and his Boot Camp wasn't any different from mine. Try this article for some boot camp survival tips... http://www.gruntsmilitary.com/cgi-bin/newsscript.pl?record=3 lancer, I don't imagine yours will be too different from what I hear..though your accomidations may be better!

mlakrid said:
First quote, not true, ever service since after the draft was abolished has had guaranteed jobs, they just go in waves, and it is dependent on your ASVAB Test.

Second, nope not neccesarily true... how long did it take you to make E-4 how about E-5? I was a Cryptologic Technician Maintenance from 1990-1999 I made E-4 in 12 months (after completing my A-school) and I received a 6k enlistment bonus (All because CTMs are in the Navys AEF Advanced Electronics Field) as for my first Re-up I still received $24,000 as my first reenlistment bonus I would have received 48000 but the first 2 years of the reenlistment was canceled out because i orig signed up for 6. In the Navy if you get top in class for your rate you get either choice of orders (and with that you can choose location OR another C-school)

Third, absolutely... As I mentioned any service will give you something in writing, even if you have to tell them your joining A because of X,Y and Z...

THe biggest thing I would say is... talk to people who are doing the job you want... get the information right from the horses mouth as it were without your recruiter around, they are the spin doctors, and its their job, yours is to know what is BS and what they are speaking the truth about.

Good luck, and I hope you find what you are looking for!!

I don't know how things are structured now (I was in from 1994 - 1998, recall extention in 1999-2000). I know LOTS of people who were told they were going to be one job that they signed up for in the Marine, and Navy branches (never heard anyone in the Air Force complain though) and ended up doing something totally different. They were told that their jobs were NOT guarenteed, hench why they had to pick upto 3 different jobs in order of priority and that the military would "do thier best" to get them those jobs. I know many a Marine that ended up being infantry and not one of thier 3 listed job classes. And they were not to thrilled about it.

I made E-4 at about 2 1/2 year mark, would have been sooner but there was a hold on E-4 slots for a while. I made Sgt. (E-5) in my last 6 months of my first tour. (I joined right out of HS, so had no college).

I had no college either, and as for Navy schools, especially aanything in telecom or computers or anything to do with cryptography they HAVE to give you something in writing... with that said....

they write the contracts (and incase you are wondering yes mine was this way too) if you don't pass the school you were given they send you to another NEC (MOS for you army folks) or send you to the fleet undesignated where you have to shoot for another rate... almost any intel, crypto, or telecom job in the Navy require contracts..

I had no college either.... not even Community College....

:disappointed: Well my wife is unsure now whether or not she wants me to join, because she finds it too hard to look after our daughter, when i'm not around, plus she thinks her county job is the bees knees. So right now, i'm not sure what is going to happen. I just think it'll be the best for us in the long run, but she is not so sure. Im 25, 28 is theage max for the air force, so i don't have much time left for messing around... what to do is the question.

Navy would always be my first choice, but with a family Air Force seems better. But maybe neither will be on the playing cards at all much longer. Maybe sarasota county will collapse and she'll need another job. hey could happen.

(**** was that a pig flying) :disappointed:

garikfox said:
The US Military uses UNDER IQ fools for there bidding.... LOL FACT !!
You know from experience, or what? That's one of the most rediculous statements I've read in these forums.

garikfox said:
Really?!THAT must be why I can't get a decent job! Or maybe....What's that Mr.Rumsfeld sir? Yes Sir, I'll go beat that prisoner and take butt pyramid photos as soon as I thank my friend here for enlightening me...

garikfox said:

Well, as a ex military person myself with an IQ I guarentee is higher than yours, where does that leave you? When you get out of the 6th grade, then make a comment. Now go away little troll boy.

garikfox said:
constructive comments only please or else I will be forced to remove your posts from this thread

garikfox what a ****ing *******, even if it is true (which it is not), why say it apart from trying to insult people.

Some of the best day to day inventions come from military testing and there respective personnel.

garikfox - first of all I would have never expected anyone 30 years old to respond like a 14 year old. And....

Just for info purposes, back in the mid 1960's the Air Force was accepting people into technical fields who did meet the miniumu aptitude test scores and otherwise would have been ineligibe for the career field. They did it as a way of testng to see if they had to change their entry criteria or not. If these individuals did not complete the technical training, they were placed into another careeer field (which they did qualify for with their scores) and no action was taken against them - the failure was not even recorded in their records! BTW - I went thru tech school with a "below aptitude case" and he made it through the course just fine!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back