urgh........MSN pop ups

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by the_music_man, Sep 7, 2003.

1. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

this is making me mad. i get this msn popups that tell me to go to http://www.destroyads.com/. someone suggested unchecking those options on MSN and i did that but they still come up.

2. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I think you mean Messenging Service popups (A window with a text and an OK button). This has nothing to do with MSN Messenger. To disable the messenging service, click start->run type in 'services.msc'. Scroll down to Messenger Service, rightclick it and choose Properties. Under 'Service Status' there are four buttons, click 'Stop'. Next to 'Startup type' choose 'Disabled'. Now click OK. You won't be bothered again!

3. I wouldn't say they had nothing to do with MSN Messenger, because i think you'll find they are sent via MSN Messenger exploting the perfectly valid messager service used to recieve network messages on a LAN.

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

They're not sent via msn messenger. They're sent via "net" command line tool.

5. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

It is a messenger service NOT MSN Messenger !!! I setup my laptop a few weeks ago and as soon as I put it on the net a pop up came thru. I immediately went and disabled the messenger service and no more pop ups.

6. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

7. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

8. Android412

Android412 Guest

I find it funny how everyone *****es about the pop-ups in Messenger, and yet somehow, I've used it for about a year and a half now, and haven't had a single one. ?????. Not a single install of any sorts to stop them, yet just have never had any from day one. I dont know why or how, but it can be done.

9. seeme

seeme Guest

i'll second that mate, i never get any pop up ads for MSN - ever. and ive been using it for more than a year!
    :D

ps - we need new smileys on this board....the current ones absolutely suck.

pps. i like the new theme

10. PseudoKiller

PseudoKiller Zug Zug

I guess some ppl cant read... it has been stated over and over again and still ppl mess it up.

It Has Nothing To Do With MSN Messenger

It is because of a service called messenger

They are NOT the same thing...

Messenger is an old network messaging service and that how the pop ups get in. Disable it in services and the problem goes away.

This thread is closed.

11. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

You tell'em Steve-Dave!.... Or PseudoKiller :)