Upgrading Mobo+case and transfering old to new one

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by _DM_, Apr 27, 2003.

1. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Ok I got a Dell right now and i'm thinking about upgrading my mobo and getting a new case so it can fit. The reason why i'm getting a new mobo cause i'm gona overclock my 1.6 GhZ P4 on the new mobo because no one cant overlock a Dell cause they locked the bios thingy. I got a Intel 845D Chipset (whats a chipset do? isnt that the porcessor?) What Motherboard is good for me? Will a Pentuim 4 1.6 GhZ fit in any ABIT Mobo? Cause i'm thinking of getting abit.

2. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

couple things..

the chipset is what the motherboard is built around. it consists of the northbridge (communicates between memory controller, agp, cpu) and southbridge (ide, pci, sound, etc) and these two chips communicate with each other, of course.

if you want to get a new mobo, you have to first find out if your cpu is 423-pin or 478-pin. second, you need to make sure your dell power supply isn't proprietary, which it probably is. in which case, you would need a new power supply to go with your new motherboard.

3. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i looked up the intel 845 chipset. it looks like that chipset is only for the 478-pin pentium 4's, so that's what you have. that's a good thing.

4. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

How can I find what pin I have? but i might upgrade to a 2.0 Ghz soon will that fit in it?

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yup, as long as you get the 478-pin p4. the 423-pin p4's go up to 2.0ghz, so if you get 2.2ghz for faster, you won't have to worry about how many pins it is... just worry about the fsb, then. :D

6. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Should I upgrade to AMD? Cause I'm low on budget.

7. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

that wouldn't make sense. like i said, you can stick with your current mobo and memory.. just upgrade your processor to a 2.4ghz (which is a little over $100). the 2.4ghz is the fastest one you can get with a 400fsb. just make sure you're not buying the 533fsb version.

this alone will boost your 3dmarks up to maybe 14k or higher.