upgrading mobile video card

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by failurbydesign, Aug 5, 2004.

1. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

you can do it huh..it would be cool...

2. w00kiec00kie

w00kiec00kie OSNN Addict

is hardly recommended because of heat issues.
    SOME laptops have upgradable modules, but it will likely void your warranty.

3. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

some of the newer laptops from alienware and dell and others have swappable modules for video cards... allows them to be changed to something better... if applicable...

if one is thinking about getting a laptop today expecting to upgrade to one of the PCI-E products it may not be the greatest idea...

4. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

As Sazar said, certain Dell and Alienware models include upgradeable graphics cards. The Dell Inspiron XPS can now be upgraded to a 256MB (256-bit) Mobility Radeon 9800. This would be an official upgrade from Dell, and wouldn't cause any warranty problems.

Some machines can also be unofficially upgraded. For example, my Inspiron 5100 came with a M Radeon 7500 a year and a half ago, but several people have successfully upgraded to 64MB M Radeon 9000s by just ordering the part and replacing it.

5. failurbydesign

well check this out

http://www.e4allinc.info/dir1/motherboards/laptops/arima_W720_K7_end_users.htm

the bios part..

"The ME01 Bios gives an option to select 128mb of shared video ram. The ATI Radeon settings show the increase to 128mb. But, I experience no performance boost in 2D video throughput."

i have the file and here is a link fo rthe how to:

http://www.e4allinc.info/dir1/motherboards/laptops/medion_biosME06_readme.txt

but i got lost..i also for the hell of it went into my bios and was able to change from 32mb to 64mb...i would love 128..can anyone explain it better or easier for me?

6. failurbydesign

does anyone understand the instructions?