Upgrading issues for Win XP..adivice please

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by neo090282, Mar 31, 2003.

1. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

I'm putting XP on a Sony Vaio and the following issues have been brought up:

Micro$oft NETBEUI protocal driver, am i correct in thinking this isnt needed anyway in xp??

second is a driver for Conexant WINACHSF softmodem, anyone have any ideas where i can find this driver?

And finally the one i'm really unsure about is the Symantic Utility Driver, i think its for the touch pad?? Any ideas???

Help would be appreciated, thanks

2. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

I'm pretty sure you're right about the NETBEUI protocol, so I wouldn't worry about it. And I haven't looked for the driver that you need, but I have a Conexant modem that was updated automatically by XP without me having to find a driver. As for the Symantic (Symantec?) thing, I'm not sure about that. Are these concerns that you listed a result of running the compatibility thing (can't think of what it's called) that Microsoft provides for people considering the upgrade? If these are your only concerns, I would say that you're pretty safe in doing the upgrade. I've seen installations performed with many more concerns that ended up being fine. My advise is go for it. :)
  3. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

I have put XP on now and the only concern is with the modem.

Need a Conexant - Ambit Soft56 Data, Fax, ICH Modem driver

My Model Vaio is PCG - GR114 EK

If that helps or is the same as yours.
  4. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

if you got a vaio go to the sonys vaio support site, im sure they got all the drivers you need
  5. 2z

2z OSNN Gamer

windows update has quite a few drivers on it

might be worth a try

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Try here for the modem, I scanned the list and saw quite a few that might do the trick.
  7. neo090282

neo090282 Guest

thanks for the advice chiefs