upgrading celeron processor

B

bmxjt

I am going to be upgrading my processor by myself soon. ANy helpful tips from people who have done this would be appreciated. :)

Is it basically removing the heatsink and processor and replacing them or is there more to it?

I know I will have to change my bios to the new processing speed, but is there anything else to change within the bios I need to know about?

Yup it just consists of remove heatsink and processor, pop new one in (make sure your mobo supports your new processor) and make sure the bios multiplier and FSB are correct :) actually in most rigs you won't have to change FSB or multiplier..since you have a cele your bios is 66mhz and most new intel processors are multiplier locked. So the only thing you'd need to do is change the FSB if the new proc needs 100mhz and your motherboard supports it

Do you know what processor you are upgrading to.? Or which you would like?

my motherboard and bios only support up to 533. I currently have a 333

Ok, i received the new processor today. What is the FSB that was being referred to? Is that only if it needs to be changed from 66mhz to 100 mhz?

if i take off the heatsink and want to install a new one, how should i remove the artic silver(thermal comcound) from the cpu die?

just add more compound to the new heatsink and then put it back on the cpu

so i shouldn't take off the layer already there? i now it gets all burnt out, and it becomes thinner as it fries, but i though i should take it off first...
so i can just by a volcano7+, put a *thin* layer of artic silver on the die, spread it out witha box cutter type of knife, and plop the heatsink on top.
also, are there any other recomended heatsinks that you don't need a screw driver to install?

bmxjit...yeah that's pretty much it, take off old, put on new.

(Your next NEW PC is gonna be an AMD right ;-))

wyrlwyn, yes, a ***VERY*** thin layer of arctic silver on there, Arctic Silver WAS NOT made to come off, so the only way to re-new the bond is with a new layer.

Also, where are you getting your Volcano 7+ and for how much?

i don't now, my bud kinda turned me to get on. last weekend my cpu was idle at 113... today its at 129... the sumer is gona kill it so i'm looking into getting better collant. i'm putting an ac right above the tower, so, that should keep it nice and chilly, but if it doens't work great, i'll get a new cpu fan. gona looka round virtual-hideout.net for prices, probebly not more then $50, i'm not sure of the conversions for our euro firends:D

Dejav00 -

You were right. I upgraded to an AMD. :)

I got the 533 celeron processor. But I took it to be installed and they told me it was the wrong slot type. I would need a slot adapter and they are hard to come by. So.. I just upgraded the motherboard to an Athlon GA-7ZX with an AMD 1.2 ghz processor. The speed difference cracks me up sometimes. :)

Originally posted by wyrlwyn
so i shouldn't take off the layer already there? i now it gets all burnt out, and it becomes thinner as it fries, but i though i should take it off first...
so i can just by a volcano7+, put a *thin* layer of artic silver on the die, spread it out witha box cutter type of knife, and plop the heatsink on top.
also, are there any other recomended heatsinks that you don't need a screw driver to install?

Wiv reference to your question about removing compound, you can use those screen wipes or damp cloth heavily soaked in crockery cleaner (washing up liquid).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back