Upgrading after xmas- advise please.

hmm i'll think i'll stay away from that board then haha! :)

It's not too bad, except that a NIC takes a PCI slot... The older version driver (from the last nForce driver set) didn't cause BSODs, but rather just no network connection.

Not sure what's up with the NV driver though for Windows XP. Installing Linux, the onboard NIC worked, and with the Linux drivers, it worked also. I'm rather certain I've nailed a software bug down; but getting nVidia to actually fix this, and not make it worse in a new driver release :(

Perhaps other nForce 3 users out there, can add to this from their own experience; which will help you sort it all out...

Son Goku said:
It's not too bad, except that a NIC takes a PCI slot... The older version driver (from the last nForce driver set) didn't cause BSODs, but rather just no network connection.

Not sure what's up with the NV driver though for Windows XP. Installing Linux, the onboard NIC worked, and with the Linux drivers, it worked also. I'm rather certain I've nailed a software bug down; but getting nVidia to actually fix this, and not make it worse in a new driver release :(

Perhaps other nForce 3 users out there, can add to this from their own experience; which will help you sort it all out...

I dont have the card but read about your very problem and a BIOS update did fix the problem, I know someone on the site here had that same problem besides you Son Goku..

mlakrid said:
I dont have the card but read about your very problem and a BIOS update did fix the problem, I know someone on the site here had that same problem besides you Son Goku..

Was just passing info along, but thx... However, on the BIOS update I've got the lattest BIOS for my board now, and had the next to last previously. Put it in there for CPU support, given that I have a Venice core...

So, perhaps this is related to the board then (though on the BIOS side of things). Ironic that Linux doesn't experience it, but oh well...

In that case Lancer, you might want to look further :)

Son Goku said:
Was just passing info along, but thx... However, on the BIOS update I've got the lattest BIOS for my board now, and had the next to last previously. Put it in there for CPU support, given that I have a Venice core...

So, perhaps this is related to the board then (though on the BIOS side of things). Ironic that Linux doesn't experience it, but oh well...

In that case Lancer, you might want to look further :)

Apologies, what I SHOULD have said was the driver/BIOS update COMBINED fixed the problem... again, I dont have it... I dont know for sure, but if I remember it was nothing significant at all...

I will freely admit I am Asus biased, but DID NOT mean to imply this board is not worth considering, it is a very nice overclocker, and me being the overclocking enthusiast I am, am all for boards which do OC'ing well..

and this was a candidate until I decided on the P4C-800E Deluxe.

again... sorry Son Goku, did not mean to infer anything....

well lego that actually does work out pretty nice. i'll look into that.

I know the feeling of being stuck there lancer. On one hand you want to upgrade the board to a 939 but don't want to upgrade video card, yet you don't want to have to upgrade the board again in a few months when your ready to upgrade the gfx card. Unfortunatly I never found a real solution, I just ended up upgrading my gfx card too.

As for your processor, I bought the 3700+ Sandy Core myself, unfortunatly afterwards I found a review stating that the 3200+ Venice costs about $100 less and runs almost the same to the 3700+ (probably need to OC though), there were no real benchmarks i could find, or any other confirming info for that matter, so I don't know how acturate that is. Keep in mind also that iirc AMD's Socket M is due out mid next year which means (at least I hope it does) that 939 X2's will hopefully drop in price.

Just my 2 cents

James

well know i am seriously considering the 3800 x2, seems like that may be pretty future proof.

mlakrid said:
Apologies, what I SHOULD have said was the driver/BIOS update COMBINED fixed the problem... again, I dont have it... I dont know for sure, but if I remember it was nothing significant at all...

I will freely admit I am Asus biased, but DID NOT mean to imply this board is not worth considering, it is a very nice overclocker, and me being the overclocking enthusiast I am, am all for boards which do OC'ing well..

and this was a candidate until I decided on the P4C-800E Deluxe.

again... sorry Son Goku, did not mean to infer anything....

hehe, I think it was I making some inferences based off of what was said. BTW, my nForce drivers are also the lattest off nVidia's site... It's a strange one, and even more strange considering Linux doesn't have a problem...

That said, if the BIOS update was on another board, all manufacturers might not have implemented the fix at the same time. Perhaps it'll be comming down the pike. Until then, I can use a NIC in the PCI slot, as I do have one. Still getting back there to switch the cable switching between Windows and Linux is a pain.

As to lancer; who is looking for a motherboard; it really comes down to a question of whether he cares that the onboard NIC might give him such issue until the update gets released; assuming the info you provided of course...

Son Goku said:
hehe, I think it was I making some inferences based off of what was said. BTW, my nForce drivers are also the lattest off nVidia's site... It's a strange one, and even more strange considering Linux doesn't have a problem...

That said, if the BIOS update was on another board, all manufacturers might not have implemented the fix at the same time. Perhaps it'll be comming down the pike. Until then, I can use a NIC in the PCI slot, as I do have one. Still getting back there to switch the cable switching between Windows and Linux is a pain.

As to lancer; who is looking for a motherboard; it really comes down to a question of whether he cares that the onboard NIC might give him such issue until the update gets released; assuming the info you provided of course...
yep :) glad you didnt take it personally... I want an AMD but have to wait till all the bills are paid... my ne whome is costing me more than I expected....

mlakrid said:
yep :) glad you didnt take it personally... I want an AMD but have to wait till all the bills are paid... my ne whome is costing me more than I expected....

It always does ;)

It's a beauty though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back