Upgraded and now system is running hotter?

Maveric169

The Voices Talk to Me
(Background)
Well much to my pleaseure my shippment from newegg arrived today! YEA!!! A new 550W Antec TruePower PSU, Round floppy and IDE cables, Crucial 512mb ram, and Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 for my CPU.

So I installed all these components and now my cpu and my system temps are 8C higher in temp (at full load 51C, 48C idle)? WTF? I have the Thermaltake fan set so it runs at full speed (which is about 3X faster than my old fan). And even though the temps are higher they are still well within normal operating limits.

(Question)

Now after looking at EVERYTHING I found that my front intake fan, (stupid me) a Antec Thermal Smart Fan just is not pulling in enough cool air. (Yea, I know, a thermal intake fan, doesn't work, I have no idea what I was thinking at the time).
BUT!, I know I read somewhere, there is a way to bypass the temp sensor so it thinks it is hot all the time and runs at full speed, but I can't find the article anywhere on the net. I am hoping someone will know of a site that has it or can tell me how to do it.

Otherwise I guss I will just have to buy new fans. :(

Did you use a thermal compound when you installed the new CPU fan?

Originally posted by xsivforce
Did you use a thermal compound when you installed the new CPU fan?

thermal compound on the FAN!? Nooo..... I used artic silver3 for the heatsink when I installed it a week ago.

I think the problem is air flow through the case. With the new fan it is creating negitive pressure inside the case so the air is "stalled" but not being moved front-to-back. I need to get the front fan to blow more air to push the air to the back exaust fan.
Hence this is why I am looking for the fan mod.

Sorry, I mistakenly thought you did a heatsink/fan replacement. I need more sleep. As my kids would say, "My bad."

What went wrong...
1). You added new stuff to your system so you should expect the system heat to go up.

2). Did the CPU temperature go down with the new CPU Fan? If so you are putting more heat into the case so need more air flow.

3). Do you have a rear exhaust fan? If not get one! The expensive antecs use smart fans and all they want to do is cool the power supply. With a 550w its probably not even running warm so the PS fan may be running slow.

4). Most cases suck!!! Even the expensive ones. There are usually not enough air slots in the front to let the air in. If the total opening area is smaller than the fan open area you create a pressure drop and air flow declines. Get out the dremel tool and expand the openings. Note an open enough front makes for a noisy computer! Air goes in sounds comes out.

5). The effectiveness of the airflow depends on how the power supply openings and case fans sit with respect to the CPU and video card. The rear exhaust should be in line from the front of the case to back of case with the cpu.

A couple of us have been experimenting with cooling configurations, fans, cpu coolers, round cables, etc for over a year. The biggest factor is the design of the case.

The volcano 9 looks like the best cooler right now. There are several cases that meet the requirements I mentioned above to keep the system temp down. Good luck.

This is my setup..and was told by a Super Tech...I have an EnerMax dual fan...two case fans..that are set to blow the air out..thus not sucking in dust...and the since the Case has vents..the air flow is more stable....flow is from the vents thru the case then out...and my temp has drop alot...my 2600XP runs at 41 Idle..and 51 Load and that is real good for the 2600XP

Originally posted by LeeJend
What went wrong...
1). You added new stuff to your system so you should expect the system heat to go up.

2). Did the CPU temperature go down with the new CPU Fan? If so you are putting more heat into the case so need more air flow.

3). Do you have a rear exhaust fan? If not get one! The expensive antecs use smart fans and all they want to do is cool the power supply. With a 550w its probably not even running warm so the PS fan may be running slow.

4). Most cases suck!!! Even the expensive ones. There are usually not enough air slots in the front to let the air in. If the total opening area is smaller than the fan open area you create a pressure drop and air flow declines. Get out the dremel tool and expand the openings. Note an open enough front makes for a noisy computer! Air goes in sounds comes out.

5). The effectiveness of the airflow depends on how the power supply openings and case fans sit with respect to the CPU and video card. The rear exhaust should be in line from the front of the case to back of case with the cpu.

A couple of us have been experimenting with cooling configurations, fans, cpu coolers, round cables, etc for over a year. The biggest factor is the design of the case.

The volcano 9 looks like the best cooler right now. There are several cases that meet the requirements I mentioned above to keep the system temp down. Good luck.

I am planning on doing some nice case mods including modding the front for better air intake. But, the problem I have right now is the thermal smart fan. I read about a mod that I think said if you cut off the thermal resitor and bridge the connection that it makes the fan run at full speed, but I want to confirm that before i do it. I need to make the front thermal fan think it is hot so it runs at full speed. Can anyone help me with that.

If there is a sensor on the fan, wrap some sticky tape around it, perhaps it will heat it up.

Originally posted by Maveric169
(Background)
Well much to my pleaseure my shippment from newegg arrived today! YEA!!! A new 550W Antec TruePower PSU, Round floppy and IDE cables, Crucial 512mb ram, and Thermaltake Smart Fan 2 for my CPU.

You mean you didn't buy by clicking the banner on ntfs!!!

Disgrace to society:D :p

Skazz:cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back