Upgrade

S

silky62678

I have about 100 dollars to upgrade something. I wanted to know should i upgrade the cpu to a 2500+ overclocked to 3000 speeds, or get another still of memory 256mb 3200, per my specs?

get a 2500+ to replace your 2400+? uh, no... not wise. :p

get another stick of 256mb pc3200 so you can take advantage of dual-ddr. try to get the same brand and model memory you already have to ensure compatibility.

then try to overclock your 2400+ to 2800+ speeds. (12.5x167, 2.083ghz)

is there a big performance boost with dual-ddr?

he's not gonna keep the 2500+ at 2500+ speeds, I'd get the 2500+ and ramp the FSB up to 200! take 'er up to 3200+ speeds.... it'll take it... (mine can)

Originally posted by Goatman
he's not gonna keep the 2500+ at 2500+ speeds, I'd get the 2500+ and ramp the FSB up to 200! take 'er up to 3200+ speeds.... it'll take it... (mine can)

no point in upgrading to a 2500+ cpu then is there???
he can just OC his 2400+ :confused:

Which would give me more of a performance boost?

Originally posted by ming
no point in upgrading to a 2500+ cpu then is there???
he can just OC his 2400+ :confused:
the 2400 dont have the 333 FSB like the 2500, and the 2500 is more overclocking friendly "so ive heard", but which option would give more "bang" for the buck ?

Sounds like more memory is the answer, unless i get other options

Memory would speed up your computer way more than a 2500+ could. If you wait a bit, the 2500+ will come down even more, and you'll probably be able to pick it up for $75 by the end of the year if price drops continue the way they are going right now.

I would agree that your memory is the best way to go, especially if you only have 256Mb.

I recently upgraded to a 2500+ intending to overclock to 3200 speeds - and i simply cant get it that high. I am able to run at 2085Mhz, around about the speed of an 2800+ at 220 fsb, as opposed to the 3200 which is 2200Mhz at 200FSB, which isnt much but is quite annoying - still - my watercooling rig arrives shortly :) my CPU's gonna pay for its insolence.

However, for the benefit of other posters here, in your case a 2400+ (which i presume is the thorughbred and not Barton core will probably not go much further).

But back to your origial question - games and apps need a lot of memory these days and your probably using the swap file on your hard disk quite a bit which will slow the whole system down. , irrespective of what CPU you have. So if i was you i would definately bung in an extra 256Mb - but make sure and match your mem by getting the same module as you already have.

As for dual-ddr, if your running Intel, then yes - definately this will make a big difference - but i borrowed another 512Mb stick for my Abit N7f Nforce 2 (AMD) mobo and ran Dual-DDr and some benchmarks - didnt do squat for performance, and although this contradicts what i have said above, i already had 512Mb to start with. You will see benefits simply from having more physical memory and not using the swap file on the hard disk so much.
Dual-DDR on AMD is a bit of a PR gimmick in my opinion.

Good luck....

from what i've seen, the 2400+'s aren't bad at oc'ing. i remember one review in particular where they were able to push the fsb to 333 and leave the multiplier intact and end up with a 2.5ghz proc at stock voltage!

of course, you might not get this lucky.. but there should be room for you. i mean, at least try it before assuming it won't oc well.

yeah, i already have it overclocked to 2600+, and i think i have alittle more room to overclock, i overclocked it by the multiplier and not the FSB.

Sweet, i packed 2 more 256 pc3200 sticks and WOW:D , i thought my system was fast before, it's blazing now when doing things like gaming. Thanks guys, and gals. Now need to work on a video card.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back