Upgrade Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Rickman, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Rickman

Rickman OSNN Addict

I just received my retail copy of xp pro today after two weeks,so I put it in, it seemed to load ok but when the desktop came up I didn't any icons,went to the start menu the programs were just the basic ones
    Went to my computer clicked on c drive and all my programs are there. So what did I do wrong ????

:eek: :confused: :eek:

2. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

The only icon you should have had showing is the recycle bin. Right click on the desktop> properties> 'desktop' tab> 'customize desktop' button. You can select whatever standard desktop icons you want there.

Did you install a bunch of programs under a different account? Open Window Explorer and navigate to the 'Documents and Settings' folder. Under each user account, there's a 'start menu' folder... you can go into each one and cut/copy and paste the shortcuts to any of the other accounts. Some programs are quirky and may need to be reinstalled under the account you're logged in under.

3. Rickman

Rickman OSNN Addict

Thank's Lonman ,yes the recycle bin was the only one on there.
    I was running RC-1 evaluation copy and I think it was set to default and had to log on,at least with a password...

I have a lot of programs to cut/paste I think????
    Office xp,Three cad progams,and so on:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Yeah, it's kind of a pain having to do all the cutting and pasting. If you're going to need these programs in different user accounts, then put everything in the 'All Users' start menu group. Enjoy XP ;)

5. Rickman

Rickman OSNN Addict

Thank's again;
    I also have all users.windows under all users,and then me is that what it should be????:)

6. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Yeah, that's right. You might even have ones called 'default user,' 'administrator,' and/or 'guest' as well as the ones you recognize. It depends if you've ever logged in under them whether or not they're crearted.