Updating drivers for 56k modem - Help please.

DeeBeeS

OSNN Addict
Unfortunately I live in an area where broadband is not available however I use a Sitecom 56k usb external modem and decided to update the drivers. I downloaded the drivers from the manufacturers website I have tried to install them but had no luck.

The file is shown as File 5936062 and when I click on it I get a screen asking me to choose the programme I want to use to open the file. I have opened device manager clicked on the modem and then on update driver but it won't recognise the downloaded file. I have tried making a seperate file in My documents but still no joy.

I have never updated a driver on a modem before and I wonder if any kind person can give me some advice on this please.

Dave

You need to know the .ext of that file there what is it ? .exe .zip .rar .ace?

When you know what type of file it is you will know what to use to open it, the option to look on the web might not be a bad idea here for you .

After that the update driver wizard should work fine when asked to update driver point to the unpacked file , i get the feeling that file is packed into something like a .zip or .rar

Thanks Shamus for the information, I will give your suggestions a go. When you hover over the download all that is shown is File, no extension. I did use note pad to open the file and the contents were all in code.

Is the file on a website? or have you downloaded it to your computer? If it is on a website right click on the link and use save as, then when you have it local right click on it and go to properties see what information you can get from it.

I downloaded the file from website, did a right click on the file, had a look at properties, all it states is File and it shows that the file is saved in My Documents, that is where I put it. There is no clicks in the boxes Archive or Read Only. There does not seem anyway that I can use this file to update the modem driver. Have sent the problem to their support but have not had any reply as yet.

Post the URL of the file and we can download then see how to open it.

Seriously sounds like the file has no extention but that makes little to no sense

The URL is www.sitecom.com/drivers.php
My modem is a Sitecom DC 009 V.2. USB Modem. I did get a reply from them which was more than useless, it told me to go to device manager-modem then install new drivers, my system would not open the file as you say there are no extensions mentioned on it. I had of course tried this initially. Thanks for your help anyway.

The URL is www.sitecom.com/drivers.php
My modem is a Sitecom DC 009 V.2. USB Modem. I did get a reply from them which was more than useless, it told me to go to device manager-modem then install new drivers, my system would not open the file as you say there are no extensions mentioned on it. I had of course tried this initially. Thanks for your help anyway.

There is nothing wrong with the download it is a ZIP file use WINZIP to open the file.

I must be doing something wrong, I downloaded the driver file again, but it does not download to me as a zip file. I have even downloaded winzip but could not resolve the issue there. I think I will give up the old drivers are still working but I thought an update would increase the performance especially for loading web pages. Anyway thanks for all the help you have given me.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back