Updating Bios

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by bmxjt, Feb 6, 2002.

1. bmxjt

bmxjt Guest

Is it really a good idea if I am not going to bother updating my processor right now? Is it possible to do a bios flash to upgrade and mess up your bios? There are like 3 updates since the version of bios I have installed on my pc, but I dont know if its really a good idea to do it or not..

2. gothic

gothic LinuXPert

Sounds a good idea to me. It's an even better idea if your machine isn't too old, and if you're satisfied with it's overall performance. Some will say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but i'm of the opinion that the manufacturers must have a reason to modify their product.

You must read the instructions carefully, most flashes are still done from DOS and can easily be messed up, but if you follow the instructions carefully there shouldn't be a problem.

3. bmxjt

bmxjt Guest

i agree with the "if it aint broke, dont fix it" theory. I figured maybe if I take this pc in to have the processor up'd, they will more than likely update the bios considering my bios version only accepts processor speeds up to 333mhz. YIKES! i just told on my pc. hehe