unknown file extension

Jz1397-5

XP Bad Ass
i have a large media file (2GB) that was given to me without a file extension. The file was burned on a mac using quicktime, however using .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, and .mpv extensions the file will not open. any ideas on how i can get the file to open?

-Thanks for any help

What apps have you tried using? (i.e Quicktime, Windows Media Player) And what versions are you using of the apps?

both quicktime and wmp, both say that they cannot recognize and use it. what is the full list of quicktime supported files, i can just try each of them.

Well you could always double click my computer, then select tools>folder options>view then uncheck 'hide extensions for known file types'.

Then it should show the extension suffix.

Then you can google or check M$ for the application and what can decode it.

Attachments

• hke.gif
    hke.gif
    32.7 KB · Views: 99
lol i thought he was talking about a mac, but yeah what i said applies to both anyways, yeah lee is right, i hate how windows hides it by default that could lead to viruses appearing to be pictures with a picture icon and a .jpg, with the hidden.exe and boom virus, happened in school cat.jpg.exe i think it was lol

a vob is a no go as well, i am going to google the extensions for quicktime.

Lee: the problem is that it didn't have a file extension to begin with, i am trying to figure out what type of file it is

i saw open power dvd and just drag that file to the player and let's hope that works

when i tried to use an MP4 format, i got this error:

Attachments

• quicktime.gif
    quicktime.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 112
If it's possible it might be video try something like GSpot and it should tell you file type I believe.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back