unknown file extension

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Jz1397-5, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

i have a large media file (2GB) that was given to me without a file extension. The file was burned on a mac using quicktime, however using .mov, .mpg, .mpeg, and .mpv extensions the file will not open. any ideas on how i can get the file to open?

-Thanks for any help

2. Scooter

Scooter Random Apple Dude

What apps have you tried using? (i.e Quicktime, Windows Media Player) And what versions are you using of the apps?

3. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

both quicktime and wmp, both say that they cannot recognize and use it. what is the full list of quicktime supported files, i can just try each of them.

4. Kush

Kush High On Life!

tried .vob? could be a mpeg2 dvd file

5. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Well you could always double click my computer, then select tools>folder options>view then uncheck 'hide extensions for known file types'.

Then it should show the extension suffix.

Then you can google or check M$ for the application and what can decode it.

Attached Files:

• hke.gif
      hke.gif
      File size:
      32.7 KB
      Views:
  6. Kush

Kush High On Life!

lol i thought he was talking about a mac, but yeah what i said applies to both anyways, yeah lee is right, i hate how windows hides it by default that could lead to viruses appearing to be pictures with a picture icon and a .jpg, with the hidden.exe and boom virus, happened in school cat.jpg.exe i think it was lol

7. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

a vob is a no go as well, i am going to google the extensions for quicktime.

Lee: the problem is that it didn't have a file extension to begin with, i am trying to figure out what type of file it is

8. i saw open power dvd and just drag that file to the player and let's hope that works

9. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

when i tried to use an MP4 format, i got this error:

Attached Files:

10. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

If it's possible it might be video try something like GSpot and it should tell you file type I believe.