Unknown Beep

Originally posted by dav3st
do you have "desktop explorer shell extension" enabled in nview properties?

where the Hell do I find that...No offence but i'm still learning !!!!!:eek:

Alloy25 :(

Originally posted by alloy25
Wat do you mean by this Enyo??????? (ACPI errors)

The errors from the system event viewer you posted are ACPI errors, they are not a problem as i said you can just ignore them as they wont be causing the "beep"

I dont see anything from your startup list that would be a particular problem :huh: but have never usec cursor xp or heard of rbtray.

Maybe some trial and error may be called for, disable a couple of the starting apps, give it a reboot and if the beep is gone we know it was them, if its not gone re-enable them then try some others!

Also the screenie you posted does not show any 3rd party services that may be starting, you can get these from MS config services list with the hide ms services check box enabled.

Originally posted by Enyo
The errors from the system event viewer you posted are ACPI errors, they are not a problem as i said you can just ignore them as they wont be causing the "beep"

I dont see anything from your startup list that would be a particular problem :huh: but have never usec cursor xp or heard of rbtray.

Maybe some trial and error may be called for, disable a couple of the starting apps, give it a reboot and if the beep is gone we know it was them, if its not gone re-enable them then try some others!

Also the screenie you posted does not show any 3rd party services that may be starting, you can get these from MS config services list with the hide ms services check box enabled.

Ive been using cursor Xp for about 6 months wityh no probs...
RBTray is a program that allows you to minimise to systray any open window...including Outlook express....

Wats a 3rd party service and where do you get that info....You must give me an excact path or I will get lost:eek:

How do I fix the ACPI errors...I'd like them gone any way....

I'll give your idea a go later wen i'm going to bed..THNX

Alloy25 :)

The ACPI errors are normally caused by a old BIOS, the only way to fix it is to update the BIOS firmware by flashing it ro getting a new motherboard if no updates are out to fix the issue.

Its common with older boards, one of mine has the same issue and although it states it may cause instability it has not for me :)

It wont cause you any major problems so its best to ignore it.

You want to run C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe

go to the services tab, on that screen check hide all microsoft services then post a screenie of the services listed.

The ACPI errors are normally caused by a old BIOS, the only way to fix it is to update the BIOS firmware by flashing it ro getting a new motherboard if no updates are out to fix the issue.

Its common with older boards, one of mine has the same issue and although it states it may cause instability it has not for me :)

It wont cause you any major problems so its best to ignore it.

You want to run C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe

go to the services tab, on that screen check hide all microsoft services then post a screenie of the services listed.

This is the best I could do....didn't know how to hide all microsoft services ??????? There was no option for that .......SORRY..

Sorry i have you the wrong app, you need to use "msconfig.exe" my bad i dont know where my head is :)

The instructions are correct for msconfig.exe so just follow them and post up the right screenie

Sos for the slip up :p

sorry, right click on the desktop and choose "nView properties", then go to the "User interface" tab and verify if "Enable desktop explorer shell extension" is checked
You can try disabling nview too if you right click over the icon of "NVIDIA media center" on the try
good luck

Sorry i have you the wrong app, you need to use "msconfig.exe" my bad i dont know where my head is :)

The instructions are correct for msconfig.exe so just follow them and post up the right screenie

Sos for the slip up :p

Here it is ....it's ok to be wrong sometimes...Means I'm talking to a human being and not a machine...lol

dav3st : I tried that and it made my comp do 2 beeps ????? So I took it of...Thanx anyway !!!!!

Alloy25

alloy25, nothing strange running at startup :huh:

Is dav3st onto something? Does the nView extentions cause this kind of issue?

Which Nvidia drivers do you have installed alloy?

Try disabling the nvidia statup items and give it a reboot if you suspect that they may be causing this.

alloy25, nothing strange running at startup :huh:

Is dav3st onto something? Does the nView extentions cause this kind of issue?

Which Nvidia drivers do you have installed alloy?

Try disabling the nvidia statup items and give it a reboot if you suspect that they may be causing this.

I had 42.42 on but I installed 42.82 today and have got the same prob........not that ...

I did wat some-one said and looked in my sys tray wen the beep goes off and it goes off wen NIS enables.....at exactly the same time.....Could that be some thing????...

I've installed NAV 2003 Pro first, off a different disk , then 2 weeks later I installed NIS 2003 ....would that be a prob....

tried all suggestions so far with no results ( Except for the extra beep)

Don't know wat to do....
:(

Alloy25 :(

Could be, who knows with Norton products, disable NAV/NIS from loading at boot time and see if the beep occurs.

If it does not use RNIS and Rnav2003 to remove NAV and NIS then reinstall NIS.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

I'll give the disable option ago and i'll see wat happens......L8er....

Why would i only reinstall NIS nad not NAV ????

Could be, who knows with Norton products, disable NAV/NIS from loading at boot time and see if the beep occurs.

If it does not use RNIS and Rnav2003 to remove NAV and NIS then reinstall NIS.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/2001092114452606

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...sf&view=docid&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

I disabled the NAV & NIS but the beep was still there.....
I uninstalled NAV & NIS but the beep was still there.......
I reinstalled NIS and the beep is still here....:(

I think I have tried everything now except for a reformat...but for a beep...no !!!!

Any more ideas?????

Alloy25

Its not the windows startup sound freakishly dealayed is it? :eek:

Urm...

It appears not to be a suppressed error as nothing is in the logs.

It appears not to be a startup application or service.

It appears not to be related to Nvidia Desktop extentions as suggested by dav3st

OK heres whats next.

Can you use a tool called AIDA (http://www.aida32.hu/download/aida32ee_330.exe) to generate a report (on the menu go to report and report wizard), when you have the tool run a report for SOFTWARE related pages only and save it as HTML. Its really easy to do and will give a very large amount of info to look over and see if anything stands out!

Post that up :)

p.s you may want to edit sections of the report for privacy, i dont need browser history, cookies or licences sections! I am interested in processes, drivers, dll files.

If you prefer u can email it me, PM me about that.

Also generate a event viewer report using the same tool if you could.

Its not the windows startup sound freakishly dealayed is it? :eek:

Urm...

It appears not to be a suppressed error as nothing is in the logs.

It appears not to be a startup application or service.

It appears not to be related to Nvidia Desktop extentions as suggested by dav3st

OK heres whats next.

Can you use a tool called AIDA (http://www.aida32.hu/download/aida32ee_330.exe) to generate a report (on the menu go to report and report wizard), when you have the tool run a report for SOFTWARE related pages only and save it as HTML. Its really easy to do and will give a very large amount of info to look over and see if anything stands out!

Post that up :)

p.s you may want to edit sections of the report for privacy, i dont need browser history, cookies or licences sections! I am interested in processes, drivers, dll files.

If you prefer u can email it me, PM me about that.

Also generate a event viewer report using the same tool if you could.

I think that I'll email you but im not too sure about giving you even processes , drivers and dll files....but I am!!!!!:eek:

Theres a **** load of dll files so I hope you got a while......

Have fun and thanx for the help and the brilliant program (Aida32) :cool:

Alloy25

The info will be destroyed after ive had a look and wont be seen by anyone else :)

Ill PM you a address to use.

Ill look over it and see if anything stands out.

Glad you like AIDA it does rock :cool:

Well dont I feel like the fool !!!!!!!!!
First of all I'd like to apologise to those who have spent hours agonising over this problem !!!!!!

I took a good hard look at my nvidia driver and after 2 hours I came to relize that nvidia 42.82 was loading my desktop picture twice and the computer was telling me to stop it ???????

Hence the BEEP !!!!!!

Spoke to a mate and he has the same card and he told me just to use the driver in WinXP SP1, it works fine for him ...

Sorry to Enyo for wasteing his/her time, but thanx for the gr8 program (AIDA32)...and sorry to dav3st for not following that lead up sooner....you were on the right track .....:(

Thanx to everyone who tried to help

Alloy25 :eek: :eek: :eek: :(

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back