Uninstalling NSW 2006

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by failurbydesign, Feb 14, 2006.

1. failurbydesign

failurbydesign music MUSIC music Political User

OK, i was installing NSW 2006 over NSW 2005 and i was getting erros. NOw after a few trys i cant install or unistall NSW at all. It also isnt in add/remove progarms as well. Im goign bytrhe guide lines on

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/pfdocs/2005033108162039?Open

so im using SymNRT, but when i go to use it i get this error...it seems to do that on norton ghost...anyone know a way wround that.???

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  2. failurbydesign

After like 20 times with tha program, it just worked....nevermind....

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Sorry you had such an issue. Somtimes un-installing Symantec programs can be quite a task.

4. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

They should put a disclaimer in there manual with big letters stating:

"IN ORDER TO UNINSTALL YOU MUST DO A REFORMAT, TO DO THIS JUST BOOT COMPUTER IN DOS MODE WITH A FLOPPY AND USE FORMAT C:/ \S"

That would clear the confusion up with a lot of people. Heck they could make it better and just include the boot disk with the program ..

5. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

I had a hell of a time removing NAV 2003. It didnt remove everything so when I went to install AVG I would get a BSOD.

To resolve the issue I searched the register for symantec and norton and del all the entries. Then I did the same for files on my drive. That fixed it, but it was hell.

Just a note that my uninstall did complete successfully and the norton removal tool said everything was gone. PFFT ya right.

6. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

or use Ccleaner. :)

7. Johnny

CCleaner will get rid of the registry things, it will not get rid of the files it leaves behind ..

8. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

There are additional tools within the app that will pull it outta there ;)

Ca marche !!

9. Johnny

Yeah.. Doing a regular cleaning will get rid of the temp items as well. :)

10. failurbydesign

Yea for real, i must have spent like 4-5 hours messing around with teh whole thing...i tried like everything, then aftera bunch of tries with SymNRT and getting errors, it just worked..weird

11. duysibo

duysibo OSNN Junior Addict

Do u have another way to uninstall it coz I had tried this method and it wasnt working for my PC

12. Johnny

REFORMAT!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2006
  13. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

As you can tell, Johnny is not a fan of Norton branded products. Forgive him.

I uninstalled NIS 2006 last night using this method, maybe it will help you...

1.) Uninstall the program using Add/Remove programs
    2.) Reboot
    3.) Delete the following directories: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec, C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Symantec, C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec, and the Program Files directory for the application
    4.) Scrub the registry (do a keyword search for "Norton", "Symantec", "SymNet", "ccProxy", "ccApp", "ccPrxy")
    5.) Reboot

After completeing those steps you should be good to go. If you continue to have troubles then try a registry cleaner such as CCleaner or RegSupreme. And if you still have troubles your best bet is to start from scratch (as Johnny mentioned).

14. failurbydesign