Uninstalling BootXP......Help!

I haven't changed to log on screen, I have changed some icons though and use TransDtopIco to make the icon text background transparent, would any of these be the problem? I also use stylexp

Style xp is the culprit. Not sure about the other stuff. Get rid of style xp. I'll hold off on the email for now.

nope, still won't work. I have a few other programs for changing icons etc. will uninstall them and try again. Christ I'm getting sick of this.

Try to get it back to near original as you can. Patience is a virtue.....When things work. :eek:

ok, have uninstalled e-icons, style xp, transDtopIco, Iconphile and TweakUI going to restart now and try again. And if this doesn't work feck microsoft they can shove their SP1 where the sun don't shine, this is just too damn complicated! :mad:

Hallo Eve,
just a thought have you checked whether you have enough free space on your harddrive? According to Microsoft 717Mb are needed during installation.

Still won't work, I HATE MICROSOFT!!!! I give up, I'm not installing it at all, so there! *sticking tongue out at Bill Gates*

Yoyo: yes I have 7.93GB free space on C:/ and 998MB on D:/

*sticking tongue out at Bill Gates*

A lady shouldn't do that! :p There should be a file svcpack.log in your Windows directory. Perhaps this could give hints what went wrong.

Ok, I checked out the svcpack.log file and this is what it says:

Service Pack started with following command line: /Z

InstallFromFunction call in inf section "BuildType.DirId" failed.

Failed Deleting C:\WINDOWS\system32\jvminst.tmp 2

Service Pack 1 Setup canceled.

Any idea what all this gobbledigook means? :confused:

Soory to hear Eve. Looks like you are going to have to wait till you format that thing. :eek:

Don't think I can. I upgraded from Win 98se, but it was pre-installed and they never gave my boss the disk. And you need the previous os install disk to do an upgrade don't you? Though I do have the cd for the trial version of XP Pro. Would that work to use for the upgrade do you think?

You're digging a very deep hole there Eve. I don't know if that will work or not. Try getting hold of a second hand full version of 98. Some people are nearly giving them away.

Hallo,
did you by chance sometime use XP-Antispy or something similar? If so you either have to reset everything to original in it or reregister some dll-files:
Start>Run and type in the run box the following

regsvr32.exe licdll.dll OK
regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll OK

If this is not the problem, I don't have any other ideas at the moment.

Yoyo: no I dont have antispy software, I did what you said, and it said it had registered them, but to be honest I have no idea why I did what I just did. What is it supposed to do?

These files have something to do with product activation and registration. There were many tips around in the net to disable them. Many people did it either manually or with XP-Antispy and now this seems to be the most common reason the installation of SP1 gets cancelled.

nope, I didn't disable them, but apparently I've now reabled them *lol* Thanks anway, but I think I'll just give up now. Oooh! one more question, can you upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro, cause my b/f has home (can't find any difference between them myself, what exactly is the difference) and I could use his disk as the os to upgrade from after a format. Anyone know? :)

you can upgrade to pro from home. of course you will need a new key and activate etc . difference are not noticeable, but are mainly networking and security options

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back