Uninstalled StyleXP, successfully patched UXTHEME.DLL, so how do I use visual styles?

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by jww13, May 6, 2002.

1. jww13

jww13 Guest

I uninstalled StyleXP.

Then I went to http://www.picxel.org/patche.html and followed the instructions (replaced UXTHEME.DLL so now I have UXTHEME.DLL and UXTHEME.PAT in System32 and they are the same size and same date). Then I did a full reboot.

Now after all that, how do I use visual styles or other themes? I downloaded EclipseOSX and extracted it to c:\Windows\Resources\Themes but how do I activate it?

In Desktop Properties, if I go to Appearance, I only have the "Windows XP Style" and "Windows Classic Style" for buttons and such.

If I select the Theme (EclipseOSX) in desktop properties, the preview doesn't look right at all, so I'm afraid to apply it.

thanks a lot!

2. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

hmm..sounds like ur patching went wrong..the theme should be there in display properties..and be showed correctly..

3. jww13

jww13 Guest

Well, I just downloaded another theme and installed it, then when the installer was done it opened up the Appearance tab, and voila, all the appearances were listed for all the themes!

I don't know why this fixed it or IF it did (I did a windows update and rebooted so maybe that had something to do with it).

Anyways it works fine now so I'm happy.

Thanks for the info on UXTHEME.DLL though!