Undeletable Folder

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Waldo, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Waldo

Waldo Guest

I have a folder on my XP Pro Start Menu I cannot delete, it tells me it can't find the path. Have tried it in Safe Mode, from a command prompt, and from a Win 98 boot disk. I can see the folder from any of these but it won't delete. If I right click the folder in XP it just flashes once and gives me no right click options. Is there anything short of formatting that I can try?

2. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Open a command window and navigate to the directory this folder is in. Now type DIR /x . This will give you the 8.3 names of files and folders. Try this name to delete. If still no luck, close explorer from the taskmanager (end process explorer.exe), leave task manager open and try this command in the command window
    RD \\.\C:\DOWNLO~1\UNDEL~1 (replace C:\DOWNLO~1\UNDEL~1 with the path of your folder to delete using DOS names).
    Start explorer again in task manager. File - New task - explorer.
    Hope it works.

3. Waldo

Waldo Guest

Thanks, yoyo. I'll try it tonight.

4. Corvette

Corvette Sauske!

On XP/2000 in the command prompt, you can enter full names instead of DOS but on ME/98/95, It's a whole other story!

5. Waldo

Waldo Guest

yoyo, it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot.

6. MeFo

MeFo el mafioso

yeah thanks a lot, i also had a folder like that

i went to the folder manualy, and put rd FELIPE~1
    no need to start from root, its to hard to come up to the 8.3 filenames especially if the folder is somewhere in your documents ( documents and settings\blah\more blah\ )

damn trillian.... :)