Unattended Install, Upgrading to WinXP, Partitions?

Punkrulz

Somewhat eXPerienced
Hey guys,

I am in the process of creating a Windows XP CD that already has SP2, but also includes all of the latest updates. I am then going to turn this updated CD into an unattended installation CD, that way when I have to reformat computers, all I have to do is pop it in and go. I do want to specify the partition information.

One of the concerns that I have here though is upgrading. We have a few more computers that I have decided I am going to upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 2000. Most of the MDT's (I work for a police station) that has been upgraded went successfully. I'm a little bit concerned though. If I setup an unattended installation CD, that specifies the partition information, and then decide to use the same CD to upgrade to Windows XP (Computer is on, pop in CD, gui comes up asking to upgrade, go from there). Will the CD attempt to reformat the computer based on the pre-defined partition information? Or being an upgrade will that part not occur?

Thanks!

Not that I have put a lot of effort into it, but I have never been able to specific partition information. One of those things I have always meant to look into but never cared enough since I use images for corporate builds :)

Either way, even if we tell or suggest something here - if it's important enough you should DEFINITELY test it first before potentially doing damage to a production machine.

Hi,
Sound very interesting idea for those who have quite a few PCs to deal with and upgrade.

1. you need to figure out installing MS Genuine Advantage SW (usually interactive download)

2. you need to include in your "unattended" installer CD Microsoft auto-update module where it would be activated immediately after successful reboot.

3. actually and extension to 2, you need to be on-line to achieve best result by accepting latest updates directly from Microsoft server.

4. if you are successful in having this "art piece" working, the you actually would be able to "network" mount it over IP (Networked CD mount) and do the true group PCs' upgrade.

5. if are successful in doing step 4, then you can level higher by trying Virtual Microsoft OS installed and have all PCs run virtually!

6. if you are successfull in doing step 5, then you actually can level up to solid "group policies" and be ready for enterprise solution.

Thank you for thought ;)

Cheers

I've been testing out my standard unattended installation using VMWare and a virtual machine that method. The only problem though is I won't be able to test the actual upgrade of one OS to another. MS doesn't allow you to download Windows 2000 anymore from their website, so I may actually have to find a Windows 2000 cd and install that way.

I've been testing out my standard unattended installation using VMWare and a virtual machine that method. The only problem though is I won't be able to test the actual upgrade of one OS to another. MS doesn't allow you to download Windows 2000 anymore from their website, so I may actually have to find a Windows 2000 cd and install that way.
Just be careful you are doing it legally - could also convert the physical disc into a virtual disc, but I'm not sure that would be allowable since you'd be using that same Windows 2000 CAL for two installs.

Do you have any OEM stickers on machines currently running XP that came with 2000?

Yes, but we also have Microsoft licensing to encompass all computers here in the station and then some, so we aren't over doing the licenses fortunately. :) It seems like I got everything working fine, I discovered my minute details that I was doing wrong. I even have MS Office 2003 fully installing right now with what seems to be no issues.

Unfortunately the ISO I'm making is over 1gb. I need to see if there is a way that I can reduce the size of the Office files so that I can fit it on a standard CDR... hum.

What are you using to load the images? I would really doubt you could fit both the OS and Office on one CD, but best of luck to you :)

RVM Integrator, and you're right I can't load both the Office and WinXP into one image, it's too large being a bit over 1gb. I can get it onto a DVD, but then I'm held back by some computers not having DVD Drives. I began reading somewhere that there was a way you could "shrink" the information of the Office 2K3, however I have not been able to find that again.

All the latest updates?
I would hold off a month as apparently SP3 is out next month :)

RVM Integrator, and you're right I can't load both the Office and WinXP into one image, it's too large being a bit over 1gb. I can get it onto a DVD, but then I'm held back by some computers not having DVD Drives. I began reading somewhere that there was a way you could "shrink" the information of the Office 2K3, however I have not been able to find that again.
Maybe check this out?

http://www.autoitscript.com/autoit3/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back