Unable to respond to 'Boot from cdrom' message

boot_hill374

OSNN Junior Addict
Hi,

I have been given a pc that has Linux Ubunto o/s on.

After a failed attempt to install Windows XP, I am attempting to load XP from a cd. I changed the bios to set the cdrom drive to the primary boot drive. When I powered the pc on with the cd in situ, although I got the message 'Boot from ATPI cdrom:' I was unable to respond to this message via the keyboard. I know the keyboard is ok because I used it to change bios. I also know the cd is ok because I have loaded XP onto another pc from it successfully.

I am stuck as to what is wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
BoB:dead:

you might need to get a keyboard with an "any key"

anykey.jpg

What type of keyboard? USB or PS/2? If you are using a USB keyboard, try PS/2.

I have tried both types of keyboard.

What is special about the 'ANY' key?

I could really do without 'help' like that _KC_ :devious:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is this the original XP installation CD?

Have you tried clearing CMOS? Remove the battery for more than five minutes. But, be prepared to reset any BIOS settings that you have manually changed because removing the battery will reset the defaults.

When installing a replacement OS:

1) Use a PS2 keyboard, some bios do not support USB properly. (My work PC doesn't.)
2) Reset the Bios to defaults.
3) Format and partition the HD. OS's leave stuff behind, lots of stuff. A Track 0 restore may even be required.

PS The "ANY key" joke was funny. :)

Silly question maybe but are you using this keyboard setup through a KVM? I also wanted to bring this up because I use one at home, and some computers will accept it but some I have to detach and hook right into.

I would also recommend a PS2 keyboard - the BIOS and the phase where the CD is asking for a key to be pressed are actually different areas of functionality. If you are swapping keyboards, what you may want to do is try to boot into an environment just to be sure the PC can see the keyboard completely.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back