Unable to install windows updates

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Doxtr111, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Doxtr111

Doxtr111 Guest

Strangest thing past two weeks or so. I have XP w/sp-1 installed w/o complications, however, lately each time I download and attempt to install the last 3 critical updates, my 'puter crashes and restarts. This happens the second the updates begins installing. Any thoughts?

2. Codasmd

Codasmd Old School XPeriencer

No thoughts just yet, but I downloaded the latest ones last night, (think there were about 4 that I had to get) and I froze on install.

So I restarted and booted right into a bsod. Tells me to check all latest drivers that were installed (which was none) and to try system recovery.

So I restored to the previous night and I'm still getting the blue screen of death when I turn the comp off.

Haven't had time to really look into a fix yet but I'm very unhappy about having this problem only after updating windows.

3. Gus K

Gus K NTFS abuser

I for one, will no longer install anymore updates. Enough is enough.

4. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Others have been having the same problem. Glad I didn't rush off & install them. Like you said.......enough is enough. Patching will never end & sometimes it kills more than protects. We are talking Microsoft though aren't we. :eek:

5. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

I had the same problem and this was my solution...I had turned off many services using blackvipers gaming guideline

http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/registry.htm

This was the cause of my problems......so i just reverted it back to default settings and now the windows update works flawlessly.