Unable to access internet options in tools

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by DLK55, Feb 18, 2005.

1. DLK55

DLK55 OSNN Junior Addict

I have lost the ability to use internet options from the tools menu in IE. Message is:This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. I am the only user and think this may be tied to following event:Windows saved user David-xxxxxxxxx /Home (me) while an application or service was still using the registry during logoff. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. Also stated was this: This is often caused by services running as a user account. Try configuring services to run in either the local services or network services account. I went to windows event website and it said no action required.. Other things going on are as follows: Defrag stops at 5% and will not complete. And Getting bad block errors continually in system event log....Hard drive is but a year old should this be going bad so soon Western digital 8 gig???

2. Kush

Kush High On Life!

use firefox

3. Kush

Kush High On Life!

4. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Used to get this kind of thing with Norton antivirus 2003, can't remember the work-around just search symantec's home page.

5. Kush

Kush High On Life!

are u using avg now lee?

6. DLK55

DLK55 OSNN Junior Addict

Thanks all and yes I am using AVG anti-virus freeware and spybot from the time I had this system rebuilt Jan 04....will do a symantec search as suggested also note sp2 is installed as well.

7. Mastershakes

Mastershakes Moderator

8. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Make sure the account you're logged in with has system admin privileges.

I would consider restoring to before the SP2 install before I tried anything else. If your machine works ok after the restore try installing SP2 again.

For the defrag problem you need to run a disk check before trying to defrag. You will need to reboot after choosing to run the check, before the check actually occurs. Also, if in doubt run the western digital utilities disk for a HD health check.

9. DLK55

DLK55 OSNN Junior Addict

Mastershakes, I thank you greatly, your link solved it immediately..still working on the defrag problem. Will try that suggested by Leejend in latest post...will post back with result(s)

10. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Nope NIS2005

I found out yesterday why I kept getting d/c at random moments, I think my internal adsl modem has problems.

I had a small u.s.b. adsl modem and not been d/c in 20 hours, after installing it, fingers crossed I won't get annoyed anymore :D

As for the other modem, I am going to carefully clean it and try it out another time.