UK bans PlayStation 'chipping'

Unwonted said:
Auto makers don't get to sue people for modding their cars. I don't see how the courts could possibly declare modding something you bought illegal. Well, maybe if you modded it for illegal purposes. You know, like fitting your Audi with a grenade launcher.
It is funny you should mention auto's in this, no the auto maker can't sue you but you can get a BS ticket from the cops for legal moddification.

It all boils down to "freedom of use". And in every sector and every industry they are working hard to take that away from you and me. The interesting catch22 to that is, once they succeed, they will then offer you the ability to pay for the right to "freedom of use". This has been happening with the auto industry for years. The only difference is that too many states were not willing to play ball so it became a state issue.

For example, when I live in CA I had a '86 Chevy Camaro and I wanted to drop a 396ci motor in. The state of CA says I cannot do that legally unless I payed the state $350 for a certificate that says that my vechicle meets CA motor vechicle laws and emmissions. If I don't get the certificate, and I try to smog my car, because my car year never offered a 396ci motor they will not smog my car, and therefore I can not get my car registered.

This is a case of paying for "freedom of use".

XBox has done things similar. If you have a chip modded XBOX, you are not able to play on the XBOX Live servers.

Speaking of me talking about AT&T and Hush-a-Phone, this may end up being the digital equivalent of it, and a case definitely to be watched:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040729/ap_on_hi_te/apple_realnetworks_1

Apple Slams RealNetworks' IPod Software

2 hours, 14 minutes ago

By MAY WONG, AP Technology Writer

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Apple Computer Inc. on Thursday responded to RealNetworks' creation of iPod-compatible software by calling it the technological equivalent of breaking and entering.

"We are stunned that RealNetworks has adopted the tactics and ethics of a hacker to break into the iPod, and we are investigating the (legal) implications of their actions," Apple said.

Seattle-based RealNetworks Inc. announced over the weekend that it had developed software that allows songs purchased from its online music store to transfer to Apple's iPod.

The new system gets around internal copy-protection armor of the iPod that limits the popular portable music player to songs downloaded directly from Apple's iTunes Music Store or songs converted into the generic MP3 music format.

Cupertino-based Apple did not return previous phone calls seeking comment on RealNetworks' move.

But Thursday's caustic reply suggested Apple was prepared to jealously guard its iPod franchise. It warned that Real's efforts to expand sales by tapping into the iPod would likely be short-lived.

"When we update our iPod software from time to time, it is highly likely that Real's Harmony technology will cease to work with current and future iPods," Apple said.

RealNetworks said the Harmony technology "follows in a well-established tradition of fully legal, independently developed paths to achieve compatibility." It is designed, the company says, to be compatible with a number of different copy-protection systems.

Apple uses a protection scheme called Fairplay to make songs purchased from its iTunes store transferrable only to the iPod.

Apple dominates the legal digital music world. It has sold more than 4 million iPods and more than 100 million songs have been downloaded from its online music store.

RealNetworks was rebuffed months ago when it asked Apple to open up the iPod to support its online music services.

In this case, Apple is not much different than AT&T and RealNetworks (similar to Hush-a-Phone in the 1950s) is the one trying to put an unauthorized, third-party enhancement on their equipment. If I were RealNetworks' legal team, I'd dig up this old case. It might also make Apple look foolish in the same manner that Lindows made Microsoft look foolish by challenging their trademark on "Windows"--by being clever.

I hope Real wins.

Melon

melon said:
I hope Real wins.
Yeah, I've never defended RealNetworks before, but I too hope they win this case.
Wrote a rather detailed rant on my blog this morning about it too:
http://www.kunal.kundaje.net/2004_07_01_archives.php#pl109112637143318463

smile.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back