UK bans PlayStation 'chipping'

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by sp00ky, Jul 22, 2004.

1. sp00ky

sp00ky OSNN One Post Wonder

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

oh goody

3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

it was legal before? :p

4. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

I would think not

5. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

I think it was legal to do it to your playstation (and probably still is, I mean you bought it and surely you can do what you want with it) But actually selling the chips was a grey area which has now been shown as illegal.

6. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

hmmm interesting :p

Enyo likes this.
  7. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

UK can't control their borders or smuggling let alone stop hooky chips coming in to chip boards.

Chipping is not allowed, like has that stopped anyone? NO!

Stories like that waste man hours and bandwidth, the BBC are full of endless bull**** anyway, so hence, duh@them.

8. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Oh no.. something is illegal.. Like that will stop it from happening. Eejits. :D

9. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

10. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Shaddap!.. Just because the Aussie courts have more sense than ours :p :D

11. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

So, if the companies decide to setup shop in Italy and Spain, they can sell the stuff over the web, and peeps can just have it shipped to them. There isn't much a law like this could do, if it only applies to sellers within a given jurisdictional boundary...

12. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

i got chip in canada for my xbox. yup good ol' canada :)

13. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

Modding your hardware shouldn't be illegal. In fact, I would argue that the prevalent attitude against the practice runs smack against previous antitrust precedent. When AT&T had a monopoly on telephone service in the U.S., they controlled everything, much in the same way that console creators do now. When a company named "Hush-a-Phone" created an unauthorized product that could be purchased and placed at the end of the receiver to help the quality, AT&T complained and lost. It is because of that decision, in part, that people could buy telephones not made or authorized by AT&T.

But look at what we have learned since? Nothing. What the console creators are doing is little more than monopolistic behavior. In fact, correct me if I'm wrong, people aren't even allowed to create games for these systems, without the permission (and probably "payment") to the system inventors. I dunno...I see something seriously wrong with this, or was all this talk about "competition" and "free trade" nothing more than hot air blowing out their asses?

But whatever...I'm nothing more than a cynic these days. I certainly don't expect the pols to listen to me anymore.

Melon

14. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Nope your absolutly right on track. If you tried to create a game for say playstation, xbox, etc. you have to pay them. You then also have to pay them a percentage of the sales on that game. (supposedly gaming systems use proprietary decoding software for the gaming system to prevent ppl from creating a game and selling it with paying their cut of sony, etc.)

Funny thing is, is that this is apparently not considered monopolistic yet microsoft who simply offers every advantage to use their OS to their customers is considered acting as a monopoly. Funny.

15. Son Goku

Son Goku No lover of dogma

The media companies have a lot of clout, and with individuals such as Senator Fritz Hollings and the push of the RIAA among others...fair use rights have arguably been set aside. I know this isn't directly related to the gaming console industry (though it does have it's basis in the tech industry in general); but when Hollings was holding a hearing concerning CPMA and the like, no "opponents" were invited to even speak before Congress. When Intel spoke out against some of this, Senator Hollings tore into the rep from Intel with a "you're either with us, or with the criminals. We're not here to legislate, but to give you time to create technology" for the benefit of the RIAA and other such trade associations...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2002/03/01/senator_brutalizes_intel_rep/

This is, essentially what has been happening with fair use. Sorry for a slight diversion from the discussion of modding consoles; but to mention the context for what has happened to fair use and the like, it seems necessary to me to mention certain matters surrounding what is happening to fair use in general.

16. Lee

Lee OSNN Proxy

Well if no-one buys their products then they go bust.

Whatever happened to the words, 'the customer is always right'?

17. melon

melon MS-DOS 2.0 Political User

Wow...I really would have thought that Intel would just be a lapdog to all this insanity. I definitely have a bit more respect for them after this, but all they need to do now is ignore DRM in their hardware manufacturing like Micro$oft wants them to put it in.

And Southern Democrats? Pfft...no better than Republicans, IMO.

Melon

18. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

I premodded my PS2 ages ago, just to play import games, since actually buying a Japanese/American PS2 for that sole purprose was pretty expensive back then. I'm not too sure on what to think about this new issue- sure, it might restrict playing backups, but it might affect the import scene.

19. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

if i brought it, i can to what the hell i want to my playstation, and no court can take that away from you :)

20. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Auto makers don't get to sue people for modding their cars. I don't see how the courts could possibly declare modding something you bought illegal. Well, maybe if you modded it for illegal purposes. You know, like fitting your Audi with a grenade launcher.