uh oh do i need to reformat?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by the_music_man, Nov 8, 2003.

1. the_music_man

the_music_man aka prodj88 =P

after geting rid of those 1000 virus infected files im still geting errors but not as much. look @ this one and should i reformat?..... :-/

2. yoyo

yoyo _________________

System32.exe is/was a virus.
    Do you get this error when you start Windows?
    Look in the registry at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    and
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    for an entry referring to it and delete it.
    Also at
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    the value for "Shell" should read nothing else than Explorer.exe.

3. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

I suggest (re)format . A restore point should be a solution but not in this situation ..

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

I hate the word reformat and consider it a moral defeat but in your case I think it's time.

Before you reformat make sure all your removable media and any additional drives you have have all been cleaned or reformatted too.

5. ejm

ejm viking lost down under

Hi prodj88
    I have to agree with the others, re-format and start again. My recomendation is buy firewall and antivirus program for your computer, check weekly for new updates scan drives weekly for viruses.
    I have had both now for at least 10 years and have copped only 3 viruses through maintaining this practice. Because I scan my computer on a weekly basis any viruses I cop are found within 7 days.

I re-installed win98se on my computer (dual system) went to MS site and downloaded all the updates for win98se. I had no firewall and no antivirus. When doing my weekly scan from XPHome, I found 3 files that were infected or should I say, I had 3 files that shouldn't be there.
    The 3 files were msvxd.exe, msvxd16.dll and msvxd32.dll. The virus name is w32.datom worm. Now that was only once on the internet unprotected.

If I had used win98se again within that week that virus would have spread and many more files would have been affected.

ejm