Ubuntu: root password not set???

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by Glaanieboy, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I yesterday installed a laptop with Ubuntu Linux and I noticed it never asked for a root password. I only created an user with a password and that's it. When I try to login as root, no matter what I try, I can't login. Is there a default password set by Ubuntu install? Is there some sort of bootdisk that allows me to reset the root password, like there is for Windows NT?

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

It's disabled by default, to enable it pop open a console and "sudo passwd root" then use "sudo passwd -l root" to lock it again at any point.

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Thanks :D But isn't this a enormous security breach? This means everyone with an useraccount on my laptop can change the root password, right? Or do they have to be a member of a specific user group? :confused:

4. SPeedY_B

5. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Well, to me it isn't increasing security, it's annoying, I just want to login as root whenever I like and run programs and the lot. Maybe in a server environment this is nice, but not for me. I've just began to understand the world of linux and this requires me to learn the entire security model again. I don't want to do that, so for me it's back to Slackware Linux instead.

6. SPeedY_B

Why? when you can just enable the root acc' as I said...

7. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

After more careful reading I must admit I was wrong. I thought you could only sudo <app name> to run an app, but now I see you can enable root access so I can login as usual, like you said SPeedY_B ;) :blush:

8. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

What the heck? I was trying to compile Samba3, and it didn't find a (g)cc compiler. Turns out there is none installed! What a stupid distro.

9. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

This distro sucks donkey ass! According to the package manager gcc is installed, but it's installed someplace I don't know where it is. Now I will most definately move over to Slackware, at least Slack got it's things straight and most stuff works out of the box.

10. SPeedY_B

You're giving up too easily :p

11. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

actually the first user created is a sort of "Admin" and is added to the root group so only that user should be able to execute the sudo passwd root command

not that I am trying to defend it, I still dont really class Linux as being an operating system

12. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Gcc has to be installed. And samba is in their package management tools. You are not supposed to compile from scratch.

13. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Ah I see. And please explain why you don't class linux as an OS?

14. SPeedY_B

We were just talking about it on IRC...
    I'm sure more could of been said, but it wasn't an in-depth discussion :p

15. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

But why can't I execute gcc and [s|n]mbd?

16. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Even more significantly, if root were enabled during install, the user would be required to forever remember the password they chose--even though they would rarely use it. Root passwords are often forgotten by users who are new to the Unix security model. (Matt Zimmerman)

For simple users like me :)

17. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Because you need to open up their package manager, select what you want, hit install, and let apt-get do it's job.

Then you can execute snmbd and nmbd and gcc if you wish. I know it is a pain, but this Linux distro is for the standard user who wnats to surf the web, and check his mail, and edit a few documents.

So for us more technical people, it is not a distro of choice. It is a mandrake like system, but stripped down for ease of use even more. Contains just what standard people need, nothing more nothing less.

18. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Hmm. So basically I would have to create a new user which I would use to login to Linux. The user I created suring install is a Power User of some sort with rights to sudo to root. Am I correct?

edit: This was in reply to zeke_mo
    @the rest: I'll continue to play with it, I am too curious to pull it off again.