Ubuntu - A pleasant surprise

Discussion in 'Linux & BSD' started by X-Istence, Nov 27, 2004.

1. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

I have to personally say that this Distrobution of Linux is a real pleasant surprise. It works out of the box from the Live CD without any problems (that is all i have tried so far, time to go dig out an old HD), and so far it has been really fast and reactive, EVEN with all the CD loading it has to do.

It contains all the standard features you would expect from a Linux distro, and contains some standard apps everyone needs.

I really like the fact that it found all my hardware without any problem, and even set the size of my screen correctly in X. Overall, i am really impressed with this Distrobution, and might even make it my standard one.

If that happens, all depends, we will have to wait and see.

That reminds me, i should try out the powerPC version sometime.

Attached Files:

2. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

yes i feel the same way...i am gonna try it out on my other computer.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I just got an old 500MHz K6-2 test box a few days ago that I want to try this on. Now I just have to find a keyboard that plugs into those old-style connectors. =\

I've heard nothing but good things about Ubuntu's hardware support.

4. so is uBuntu better thant SuSE??

5. Tittles

hey net are u talkin about the big plugs for the keyboard

6. NetRyder

Yeah.

7. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

NetRyder, i could be wrong, but don't they sell a converter that goes from the big plug (isn't it actually called an AT plug? could be wrong) to PS/2. might be able to find one pretty cheap from somewhere, or find an old keyboard for cheap from somewhere.

8. NetRyder

Yeah, I'm sure such converters are available. The thing is I remember seeing one of them at home a couple of months ago (I keep a lot of old parts), but I can't seem to find the thing when I need it.
    Oh well, if I don't find it, I'll probably just look for something online. [​IMG]

9. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Looks nice, I'll be installing it on my x86 desktop when my copy arrives. May put it on the PowerMac too :)

10. Tittles

i have a keyboard that will work for that but i guess that dont really help u since i wouldnt be able to give it to u :p.

11. X-Istence

the x86 install works flawlessly. the PowerMac edition refused to work on my iBook though.

12. That is exactly what I want to know.

13. NetRyder

I guess like every other Linux distro, it's largely a matter of hardware configurations and personal opinion.

14. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Its all a matter of personal opinion, if you can get hardware to work with one, you can get it to work with another ;)

15. Tittles

I installed it on my other pc and i love it. I just need to get the sound working and get a modem :). I hated red hat...it was to i unno just blah.

16. emeritus

emeritus Beware the Monkeys!!!

How long does it take to get it?

17. NetRyder

Well, you also have to consider ease of use - obviously what you said is true, but some distros are inherently better than others at detecting and installing drivers for specific hardware out-of-the-box.

18. X-Istence

One thing i am having troubles with is installing gcc, and g++ and pretty much all the gcc tools.

Also, headers seem to be missing, or rather, i am missing them in the package system, and personally i have not found it to be anywhere near as satisfying as FreeBSD or gentoo. Package management blows on Ubuntu. All ill say on the subject.

19. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

There is a converter availble for ps/2 keyboards to be used on AT machines (AT as in before ATX). My Dad has one on his computer because he likes them old keyboards. Will take a photo tomorrow if I don't go Nan's. Search around ebay.

20. NetRyder

Heh yeah, that old box is still sitting there untouched. On second thoughts, I don't think I really want to bother with it. :D
    I'll probably try the LiveCD on my laptop at some point though.