[ u r g e n t ] trying to install XP PRO

quoted by Ziptrx
STOP: 0x000000ED UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME most likely is you are using ATA controllers. If that is the case, you need to press F6 when it tells you to, so that you can load the controller drivers. XP considers ATA to be SCSI when installing.

Can you get to this point?

Also the company that built your system should of sent you a CD relating to your bios......try inserting that and loading the relevant Drivers

Alan

When u find out what type it is have a look Here to see what the latest version is:cool:

The m/board BIOS should never have to be "loaded" and if it was corrupt or missing you wouldn't get anything at all.

What m/b is it and does it have a RAID controller? I'm assuming thats what the FASTTRAK controller is. You may need to load a BIOS for this, but in the meantime, connect your HD to a normal EIDE port instead of the raid controller.

However it does sound like the CD isn't booting - NTLDR is, I think, only required to start Windows and at this stage Windows isn't running.

Is the "First Boot Device" in the BIOS set to CD Rom - it seems to be trying to start Windows from the Hard Drive.

And as stated earlier, you will need to format the HD, but the XP CD should offer to do that for you.

it's a Chaintech Zenith.. so pretty new..

i only get to STOP: 0x000000ED UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME when i try it with the 6 XP boot disks.. itr appears after the 6th..

why are u using the 6 disks? the easyist + best way is to just use the xp cd as described a lil way up. u dont need the disk's @ all.

i use them cuz i can't access the CD.. it gives me the NTLDR before i can do anything

strange i found this but i think some 1 else has already said:

Short for NT loader, NTLDR is a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Microsoft Windows NT load.

Cause:

Systems hard disk drive has FAT32 file system.
Computer hard disk drive has INT-13 extensions with a system-ID type of 0C in the partition table
The heads value in the FAT32 BIOS Pattern Block (BPB) is inaccurate.
Solutions:

To resolve the error message "NTLDR is Missing" follow the below steps:

Boot the computer with a Windows 95 or Windows 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it.
At the A:\> prompt type:

sys c: <press enter>

After pressing enter you should receive the prompt "System Transferred". Once the file system has been transferred reboot the computer without the diskette and attempt to reproduce the error.

if this doesn't work then i would say clear the cmos + try,after that reinstall the bios with the latest version. that should fix it.(i hope) i cant find any outher information on it:(

i take it they are all 100% brand new parts?

yes they are..

i tried that win98 boot disk stuff too.. but it doesn't give me a system tensferred msg it gives me some kind of error..
since one fo you guys said that itg may be because the CD is not bootable:

can anybody tell me how to burn a bootable CD?

i already made an iso of it on another PC

a lot of stuff seems 2 point 2 installing xp over 95/98 Here

ok can u get the any error mesages then plez? i will b bk in bout an hour:cool:

these are my boot sequences:

when using CD:
Code:
Boot from CD: CDBOOT Couldn't find NTLDR

when using Boot Disks:
after inserting the disks one after another i get this after the last one:
Code:
STOP: 0x000000ED UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME

When using Win98 Boot Disk:
Code:
Windows 98 Setup...
A:\>sys c:
Some kind of error i don't know..

Originally posted by jonex

i already made an iso of it on another PC

How to burn a bootable CD

Ok, first of all to burn a bootable cd you need to "burn an image" of the iso file that you downloaded. I personally use nero 5 to do this in windows, and it is fairly easy as you go thru the burn wizard to make a data disk then when you are at the drag and drop screen goto file in the upper left hand corner and choose "burn image" and it should bring up the destination that you saved the iso images to choose 1 and burn it. Not to hard, but then again I dont know what you use to burn cd's, maybe some other people can explain how it is done with other burn programs.

Alan

Oh I feel your frustration :blink:

yeah i use Nero too.. can u maybe explain it to me step by step???

:/ your windows xp cd is already bootable!!! (if not, then chances are, its not legit - i have never seen a legit windows cd that wont boot - try using only one cdrom drive - unplug the other)

it might be a good idea for you to go into the BIOS and change the boot procedure so that your computer boots from the DVD/CDROM first. Chances are that the company who built your computer didnt change that as its not always needed for the majority of operating systems... plus, its the default in ALL motherboards that I have come across since first building computers.

what hardware do you have?
1. make/model of motherboard
2. cpu type/model/speed
3. memory type/speed/amount
4. dvd or cd drives make/model/speed
5. psu xx? watt

Usually in the Award BIOS (press del when prompted to on boot), changing the boot procedure is in the BIOS setup from A,C,SCSI (i think default is) to CDROM,C,A will sort your problem out.

give it a try

edit: i recommend checking master/slave settings on the IDE devices - a mate of mine told a company what he wanted in a computer and they built it for him - didnt install windows though. he got the pc and it was just plugged in - cables wrong way round... harddrive wasnt even plugged into the power, both his cdrom and cdrw were set as master on the secondary cable etc... he basically had to rebuild it himself. (strange how the company went bankrupt a month or two later isnt it??)

ok i'm bk 4 a bit.

1) is it a legit cd that had the windows logo etc on it? if it is a normall Cdr then it could be a bad burn with nero + i can tell you how 2 fix it so it burns properly

2) why dont u try taking the harddrive out of the computer + put in in the one ur using now. then goto my computer + right click it + select format of u can do /fdisk on it.?

3) do bios like i said

when using CD:
Code:
Boot from CD: CDBOOT Couldn't find NTLDR

Check the BIOS and make sure you have the CDRom to boot first. Second, check to make sure it is ATA, SCSI and not SCSI, ATA. (If you are using ATA) Check the cables and makes sure they are fitted correctly. I wouldn't worry about making a bootable CD until later. Most important step is getting the OS installed, whether it be from the CD or boot disks.

when using Boot Disks:
after inserting the disks one after another i get this after the last one:
Code:
STOP: 0x000000ED UNMOUNTED_BOOT_VOLUME
When using the boot disk, there should be a step asking for the floppy that contains the ATA drivers. That would be the main reason to being given that error.

My advice is to use the floppy that is meant for your hard drive and format it. After that, then attempt to install with the floppies again.

ok thx @ all i'll try the siggested solutoin and come bsack when done...

When using Win98 Boot Disk:
Code:
Windows 98 Setup...
A:\>sys c:
Some kind of error i don't know..

The reason you are getting an error with this command is that you are trying to copy the system files to an unformatted drive. The command that you should be using is Format c: /s, this will format the drive and then copy the system files. The drive will be formatted as FAT32 so if you want NTFS you will need to use the XP CD to reformat the drive. You might need to copy format.com to your 98 boot disk if you dont have it there already. (Assuming you have access to a 98 system). If not you can try www.bootdisk.com.

You might also want to try going to the hard drive manufacturers site and download any disk utility programs that will check the drive.

i don't understand.. why would i need to format the hardrive.. it's brand new.. and empty.. evern if i would try i would get the mssing ntldr error.. i can't to anything off the CD.. when i boot from th CD i get that missin ntldr

i get the feeling that the CD is not bootable.. can i somehow burn it to another and make that one bootable.. how would i go about doing this

1) You need to format your drive. If it's brand new, it's like buying an unformatted floppy disk (lol...do they even sell unformatted floppy disks anymore?). Just format your blank RAW drive into an NTFS format, which is an option from the installation CD.

2) Are you getting anything seeking to your CD drive? If not, you need to change your boot sequence in BIOS (don't know why they don't sequence it properly in some mobos [including mine]). There is probably a location somewhere in your BIOS where it mentions boot sequences, and make sure that the CD drive is *before* the hard drive, if you want to boot from your CD.

Melon

if any of above cant really work.... then i suggested u to sent back to ur seller... ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back