TV Tuner: Time-shifting...?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by zapoqx, Jan 6, 2007.

1. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

I just need to know... what is the point of Time-shifts in a TV Tuner? On say a DVR for Cable of some sort, I think its ok because it keeps up with everything, but Time-shift on a machine and it seems to delay alot and instead of say recording like the last 5 min, it records and slows down? Not all Tuners do that though...
    Is it dependent on the hardware or what?

2. rushm001

rushm001 In the beginning...... Political User

Time shifting is great if you're watching tv and the phone rings as you can literally "pause" live tv and come back to it and play from where you left off. Also if you're recording something you can watch the start of the recording before it has finished recording.

Quote from Wikipedia

3. zapoqx

zapoqx Striking Master

Thanks for that info.

Its just.. ok... PowerDVR or whatever its called used on another computer in the house, if Time-Shift is enabled, it will slow down all the way to the point that in 15 min time, it will be 9 min behind live TV and it will keep going slowing down. On my TV software, you can just push pause and it will do the aformentioned info in the wiki until I catch up and then when caught up, it deletes the temp file. But Time-Shift takes some time on my software (Winfast PVR) like 4-5 seconds.