TV & PS3 Issue

N

Not Bman

Alright, so I have my PS3 80GB hooked up to a 46" LCD TV, not sure the model name but it's newer then the TV I am going to talk about. Works great, one HDMI cable and I am good to go.

I take the same HDMI cable and same PS3 and bring it up stairs and connect it to the HDMI port (only one) on my dad's older Sony Grand Wega KDF-E50A10, basically nothing happens. All I get is lines/static. I have tried different HDMI cables, and different settings on the tv, nothing works. Shouldn't matter because it's just plug and play with it downstairs.

I did a google search to see if maybe some how this certain model of tv does not like the PS3, but didn't find anything. Ideas?

This is the TV if you are wondering, and it's not the HDMI port on the TV because my blu-ray player works with it,

http://reviews.cnet.com/projection-tvs/sony-kdf-e50a10/4505-6484_7-31453800.html

Right, zapped the spam :D

My Sony KDF 50E2010 Rear Projection TV doesn't like the xbox360 plugged in via hdmi either. Works a treat with component though. Try that on that old sony tv of your dads.

Will do, though I'd hate that. Defeats the point of using it, watching HD shows.

I should also try the 360 up there as well, the wii is hooked up to it fine, though its through component I think. Stupid.

Lord is right, that tv scales everything to 720p, so unless you use the component output for the ps3 and than you would have to set the ps3 output to 720p, and then switch over to hdmi. This is the reason you don;t see any picture.

by scaling to fit 1280x720 :)

HDMI tries to do 1080p which the TV can't handle.

Component will do 1080i btw :)

What you just said makes sense, I understand.

But I am still confused. That TV supports 1080i, the PS3 supports 1080i? Should it not just detect it, and play it like that? Are you saying the TV does not do true 1080i, it does some scaling of 720p to 1080i?

Which connection is Red White And Yellow, well I just hooked that up (ps3 and that multi connector) and no screen at all, checked all inputs on the tv, I get NOTHING, hdmi I got movement, a bit of color change, this i get nothing at all, wondering if it's the cable itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
should be colour coded. the wires for my xbox 360 were.

In the case of the xbox 360 it tries to force 1080p over hdmi even if set to 1080i, I switched to component and got 1080i.

If the TV is anything like mine it takes everything larger than 1280x720 and shrinks it to fit - you still get a better picture than sending it 720p though :)

Hi Bman,

I think what is happening is that your PS3 is set to output at its maximum resolution, 1080p. It's basically forcing that output but when you connect it to the older TV it can't display it so it's going crazy. It's possible that your Dad's TV is so old that the PS3 cannot auto-detect what resolution to run in. Also, a lot of TVs that run "1080i" cannot run in the full 1920 x 1080 resolution. Your old TV might be 1080i compatible but its 1080i mode is actually scaled, as Lord says.

What I suggest is that you plug your PS3 into your new 1080p TV and change the video options to run at 576p or 576i. Then turn it off and take it to the old TV, plug it in and turn it on. With any luck it will be running in the lower resolution. From there you should be able to change the resolution to the highest your TV can support.

Let me know how it goes!

I tried that with the 360 - it kept insisting on 1080p via hdmi so I had to use component to get 1080i.

The TV works with my PC just fine at 1080i over hdmi/dvi.

Component cable is the red, green, blue cable You are using the old analog cable with two audio outputs. The TV should have a red, green and blue connector that the PS3 should connect to. Ray is right You are going to have to downscale the PS3.

I connected the PS3 to the tv downstairs (good one) and changed the setting to only use 720P, reconnected it through hdmi on the older one, and it worked great.

Thanks guys, stupid old tv's lol

it's not that old. If you get the component cable you can bump it back to 1080 and get a better picture :)

it's not that old. If you get the component cable you can bump it back to 1080 and get a better picture :)

Yea but I am not spending money on that connector, just to watch some videos up stairs once in awhile. Well at the moment I don't have spare moola lol Yes I am that poor right now.

If Component is the red green blue one, then no, it only came with HDMI and the Yellow Red And White one (Composite?). And I can't connect a normal Component cable to it of course lol

I did buy it used from my friend, it could of been lost through the transfer, but I doubt it, pretty sure it just didnt have it.

It's fine, most of the stuff I want to watch up there is 720P anyways, if not it's probably a blu-ray disc anyways.

yeah, yellow, red and white is composite with stereo sound. Component is red, green and blue.

Try having the PS3 re-detect the video settings. When you first turn your system on, hold the power button on for an extra 5 seconds it should beep again. This will auto detect your video settings, and default to whatever your connection is.

You especially need to do this when switching connection methods (HDMI>Component, HDMI>Composite, etc).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back