TV as a monitor

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Ocg, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Ocg

Ocg OSNN One Post Wonder

I just put together a ITX computer and was wanting to use the s-video connection to use my TV as the monitor. I just installed windows xp pro on the system and I'm wondering is there any tweaks or anything that might make it look better?

2. Bootsy

Bootsy Huh?

the resolution of tv's is way worse than monitors overall. I dont think theres any way to get a better resolution out of your tv (short of just bringing the resolution down thru the settings ie. 800x600)

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Start at 640x480. A TV is only designed to do about 512x512. The phospors are too slow (or used to be). I haven't tried hooking up to a TV in 10 years.

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

It's just a bad idea. The picture quality of a television set is comparatively poor to any CRT or TFT display. The picture displayed on your TV will look awful on anything more than say a 6-inch screen.

S-Video outs are only any good for DVD/DivX/Video watching or possibly gaming. :)

5. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

I think the main difference is that a TV is designed to be watched from a much greater distance than a monitor is. At the avergae viewing distance of a TV the close resolution it lacks isn't noticeable.

6. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

Weird but I tell the kids off for watching TV as closely as I always sit at the PC!!

7. breezie

breezie OSNN Addict

u'll kill your eyes if u use a tv for a monitor regularly =)

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

You'll burn the screen too coz a large proportion of the screen will have no movements.