turn off local display (vnc)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by powelly, Apr 1, 2003.

1. powelly

powelly Guest

ok we use tight vnc to access remote pc's but id like the ability to turn off the local display? any ideas?
  2. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

While you are using the PC you want to disable the display on the remote machine? Is that what you mean? If that is the case, then there is no way. All TightVNC does is emulate what the user sees. If you disable display then you will see the same. Give me a little more insight into what it is you are looking to do and I might be able to help you come up with a solution.
  3. powelly

powelly Guest

yes we want to disable the remote display, I seem to remember that the trojan sub7 had the ability to disable a remote monitor.

The reason we want to do this is so that when we connect to a till (pc based epos) for configuration or password changes some of the screens display all valid user ids in plain text.

so we were hoping for a method to disrupt the remote monitor output but keep the local (vnc) display running
  4. natasrof1

natasrof1 Guest

you could use an APC Masterswitch, but:
    they are expensive wouldn't make sense unless all the monitors were near each other to justify the price AND you had a network run available to plug into the Masterswitch. If you got one, you would then have 8 remotely controlled power outlets and you could turn off the monitor remotely, make the changes and turn it back on.
  5. dav3st

dav3st OSNN Addict

you can go to the display properties panel and set the refresh rate or resolution to something that the monitor can't manage, that worked for me :happy:
    or test this version of vnc
    Server Screen Blanking, from viewer side
  6. Indomidable

Indomidable Guest

There are other programs

We use proxy master and it has every thing I could think of needing for remote admin. You can set it up to even only allow access during certain times, File Transfers, etc.
  7. powelly

powelly Guest

That verson is perfect