Turn off hard disks option question

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Heeter, May 17, 2004.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hi Guys,

Should I select the option to "Turn Off Hard Disks" on my File/FTP server? This should increase the lifespan of my HardDrives, especially since the tower is always running 24/7. I am just worried that it might not "wakeup" when it comes time to perform an operation.

Thanks in advance.

Heeter

2. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Is that like a spin down? I remember reading somewhere ages ago that once a HD has spun down after a long period of inactivity, it wouldn't be advisable to start using it again unless you reboot as it may damage the Disk.
    I may be totally wrong on this though.

3. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

I have never heard what ming has said, and i dont understand how it would even be accurate, so personally, i wouldnt follow that, but then, maybe i am wrong. As far as spinning down/turning off the harddrives, it will save a little bit of power. But in my opinion, turning hard drives on and off like that are the same as rebooting. Personally i would just leave them on all the time.

4. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

i'd just leave them on. the wear and tear from starting and stopping the disks will cause more problems in the long run than just leaving them on.