Tune-Up Utilities vs Ace Utilities

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by andy_rose, May 10, 2007.

1. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

As the title says, what is the best?
    I've never been a fan of these all-in one apps as they usually is just a bunch of crap.
    But after trying Tune-up, I have found myself installing it every time I did a fresh install. The app is really nice, and does what it says without breaking your computer.
    Anyhow, I just saw that Ace Utilities is out with a new version(Vista compatible) and was wondering if you guys have any experience with any of these apps?
    Should I give Ace a go??

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Personally I'd say neither. Both windows versions are pretty much optimal out of the box. Vista more so.

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I use it to correct registry errors and clean out the crap. haven't used ace utilities though.

4. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

Agree, especially Vista. But a cleaner app like http://www.southbaypc.com/SuperCleaner/ is essential when coming to what to clean or not to clean.
    Edit\just tried Ace utilities....could not wait...pretty nice, but stick to tune-up.!
    Gonna reload the image before Ace...:D

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I'd be wary of utilities that clean the pre-fetch cache though. Deleteing the .pf files actually slows things down :)

What I do want though is a little app that will clean up my start menu of empty folders and dead shortcuts so I don't have to do it by hand :)

6. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

And http://www.southbaypc.com/SuperCleaner/ is to your rescue.
    I got my X girlfriend into the new GN'r..gotta go... :-D
    Later

7. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

I understand this is not to topic but you did mention using it as a registry cleaner. have you tried or used CCleaner for cleaning out garbage files. Its the best out there

8. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

Back on XP I use it, but it is still buggy on Vista. In the next few days tho version 1.40 will be out and hopefully fix the Vista problems.
    Also a version 2.0 is in the works! :)

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

One XP reinstall later and I can advise against Tune up :/

10. andy_rose

andy_rose Moderator

After a more throughout intense testing, I bought a license for Ace Utilities. Highly recommended and the only cleaner app you need. Only thing missing is a registry defrag, but Auslogics have a great freeware alternative.
    http://www.auslogics.com/registry-defrag/index.php