tsunami disaster and appeal

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Sazar, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/26/asia.quake/index.html

scary scenario...

my parents live off the coast of africa and they got slammed by tsunami's there :(

fortunately everyone is ok but the phone lines are shot... I barely managed to get 5 mins in before the phone cut out... thankfully they confirmed they were safe... our house over there is right on the sea-shore but it was the other side of the main island the got hit...

hopefully south-east asia and the sub-continent will not suffer too long from this and the after-effects will be limited...

gotta go make a donation now when places open up tomorrow...

2. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

yes its bad, a couple of my friends live in Chennai where around 70 ppl died.I havent heard from them yet. I hope everyones fine. The unofficial toll is around 3000 ppl in India.

3. Elektro Slime

Elektro Slime Harware Guru

wow, and it all happened in a matter of minutes. makes you think of what would have happened if it was for longer. But thank God it wasn't.

4. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Death toll is around 10,000 now.

5. Elektro Slime

oh boy! its gonna get even worse in a few days, unless relief efforts start straight away. Also wasnt the quake a 8.9? thats huge, largest in 40 years!

6. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

That was a major, major quake. I was very saddened to hear of it this morning. I've got a couple of friends from Texas who actually went to Thailand this week. Thankfully they were in the northern part and didn't have any quakes or tsunamis there. I really hope that this doesn't create any strain on the plate along the West Coast... California obviously gets its fair share of quakes.

7. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

Aprently my brother was saying that when the moon gets closer to Earth as it's in orbit at certain times of the year it causes stresses to build up in them tectonic plate areas. Don't know if thats the cause interesting theory.

My heart goes out to all the people that were cought out in it. Must be bad for them, come on Bill Gates donate your money!

8. Jewelzz

Jewelzz OSNN Godlike Veteran

Don't we, OSNN, have a few members who just went to India?

9. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

SAZAR good idea, but why wait until tomorrow -

International Red Cross web site. You can slect a specific target area. I checked area most in need figuring it should get used for the Tsunami victims. ICRC may put up a specific check box for Tsunami tomorrow if you want to wait.

http://www.icrc.org/Web/Forms/webfo...256E2B00394093&action=Operations most in need

If $25 is a little steep right after christmas you can write in a smaller amount.

And as always the ICRC is a tax deductible contribution.

xsivforce likes this.
  10. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

they'll need all the help they can get...time to give

11. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Really scary news. :(
    Here's a useful link if you'd like to help: http://www.command-post.org/nk/2_archives/018256.html

Not sure about Gates himself, but Microsoft, as a company, matches any such contributions or donations made by its employees.

Omar, Bilal and Hasan (aka Grandmaster, ~bk and hsn) are in Pakistan. They should be fine, fortunately. :)

12. delta4s

delta4s BLACK HAWK ALOFT

Toll is 20,000 now according to CNN. Hundreds of fishermen are missing in my home state (AP) Fortunately, y friend who went to Chennai are safe. They say that anyone within 500 m of the beach was swallowed. Kids playing cricket on a Sunday morning were also drowned. Really sad :(

@Elektro Slime: The quake was 8.9 under the sea. Had it been on land the effect would have been much more devastating.

13. i think they were ~bk and the other vancouver guys but i think they went to pakistan not india

14. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

The death toll is over 20,000 now according to the times website :(

The worse hit are probably the smaller islands like the maldese islands where the main fishing / tourism industries have probably been obliverated - or at least signifcantly damaged - all the workers were probably wiped out by the tidal waves.

It just goes to show what nature can do when it gets going.

15. Elektro Slime

pray it doesnt get any worse.

16. xsivforce

xsivforce Prodigal Son Folding Team

Absolutely horrific. :(

17. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

as is I think they would have been on the west coast so they likely would have been safe... thankfully...

18. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Calgary. ;)

19. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

According to my friend, Jet Li (Actor) was apparently in Thailand at the time of the earthquake and Hong Kong (probably film studios) had lost contact with him on Sunday. I'm wondering if there were any other actors in those affected areas.

Sad to hear of such tragedy to all those people who've lost their lives due to the tsunami. :(

20. Black-Syth

Black-Syth Comalies

We're offically over 24,000 dead. Last few years have been harsh. People at work are actually thinking that it's the end of the world. Crazy stuff. My heart goes out to the victims.