Try to open AVI file

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Eagle710, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Eagle710

Eagle710 OSNN Senior Addict

My friend gave some episodes of a TV show they are all avi files about 350 MBs. But when i try and load them into Windows Media Player or Winamp or PowerDVD it crashes like totally it gives me a windows explorer error. And wont load the movie. Any ideas... even when i right click it does that. Not all do them too i got a few music videos a friend gave me and they are fine. Thanks

2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

You might need the divx codec to play them. Also might need to update your codec's. My last idea is download and install XP Codec pack

3. epk

epk Moderator Political User Folding Team

try this better.... get gspot, find out which codecs ur missing and install them :)

4. Snowknight26

Snowknight26 OSNN Junior Addict

Shamus MacNoob likes this.
  5. epk

yeah.. mediainfo also works...

btw... i recommended a prog like that cos installing codec packs its not that good... they come with a lot of crap, and diff versions of same codecs... and all that can cause some problems (plus its unnecessary so..)

6. Snowknight26

Not this one.

Different versions of what? Codec packs (especially this one) come with one main library (libavcdecoder in this case) that can decode about 50 different video streams, its just that there need to be different splitters/demuxers to be able to read those video streams. Splitters/demuxers are to read the streams where as libavcdecoder, libtheora, libmpeg2, etc are to parse the split/demuxed streams.

These codec packs are designed to eliminate problems that come with installing DivX, XviD, and all the other codecs when libavcdecoder can decode them all.

When you're really into watching videos, you'll notice that its quite the opposite of unnecessary. Many people use different codecs such as DivX, XviD, VC-1, x264, H.264/MPEG-4, so if you're an movie buff or you like to download tons of media, these codec packs are very useful.
    Plus, K-Lite comes with ffdshow, which is probably one of the best DirectShow filters that comes with tons of options such as subtitle loading, post-processing, filtering, transcoding, debanding, etc.

Please try to back up your reasons next time.

7. Eagle710

Eagle710 OSNN Senior Addict

8. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

just download vlc player, it plays pretty much anything.

9. epk

well.. first... lancer's advice is algo very good... vlc is pretty good at playing anythin u throw at it

and 2nd... ok... i didnt know about that one... but i still think its best to have the lastest divx, xvid and ac3 filter, etc...
    plus u dont need to decode 300 different types (ok, at least me and everyone i know dont, cant say for everyone...), for most ppl with those codecs and maybe coreavc or some mpg2 is enough

10. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

11. Snowknight26

VLC uses libavcdecoder, same one as in K-Lite (if you use ffdshow).

Why install 10 different codecs when 1 can do it for you? You don't have to check every single option when installing K-Lite. Just choose what you want to be able to play.
    I do agree with you there, however, for those that do need to decode the many different types, CoreAVC and any MPEG-2 decoder won't be enough.

Right. However, as I suggested, try K-Lite. Uninstall all the codecs you have and install K-Lite. Should solve any problems you have, and instead of having 30 different installations for various codecs, you have them all in one package.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  12. lancer

you guys....

talk about going round in circles. just download vlc and watch the movie... no need for multiple codecs, installing this, uninstalling that.... way too much work if you ask me.

I make movies for a living and this is just ott advice.

13. Snowknight26

VLC can't play as many things as WMP/MPC/what have you with a codec pack.

14. lancer

ok... i'll leave it at that.

15. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

VLC all the way.

16. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

XP Codec pack, or vista codec pack if you have vista, is pretty much all you need ... You could also just install an xvid codec and see if that works.

17. lancer

thanks x