Trillian Alternative

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by vern, Jan 20, 2004.

1. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Could anyone recommend a free alternative to Trillian? I hate having to open clients for ICQ, Y!, and MSN. I've tried GAIM many times and many versions of it, and still it isn't very stable. I also do not want a jabber based messenger. They work great, but I really just want a simple, usable alternative to Trillian.

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

3. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

4. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

Another vote for Miranda here. Such a small and efficient app :)

5. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

For those of you who want to have Yahoo! support with Miranda get a plugin to do so HERE. But even after doing this I was not happy with Miranda, back to GAIM for me.

6. coathanger007

coathanger007 Tomorrow Tweaking Today

Another vote for Easy Messge here :)

7. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

Any others? All of them seem to have a problem with connecting to Yahoo!.

8. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

9. sidefx

sidefx OSNN Addict

Does any of the multichat messengers have the ability to allow you to use Yahoo Chat meaning go into a Yahoo chatroom with voice?

10. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

On a similar note, do any of these have the ability to use MSN Messenger's webcam feature?
    I know Trillian supports Yahoo's webcam feature, but everyone I know is on MSN, so I'd like to use that instead.

11. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

any problem connecting with Yahoo! is probably down to the port - I changed Miranda plug-ins default from 5050 to 119 and it hooked up right away, working like a charm now...

12. sohka88

sohka88 OSNN One Post Wonder

How come you do not want to use trillian?

13. SPeedY_B

The joys of thread resurrection. As mentioned in the first post, He found Trillian to be unstable, not to mention it's a heap of crap.. that's just y opinion though :p

14. generalleoff

generalleoff I Use MS Paint

A little know program called Odigo was good back in the day but I havent herd much from it in a couple years. I still have it and use it from time to time but I got sick and tired of dealing with multi IM incompatability that I just use all the cliants now.

15. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

myself? I just trust opinions on this board and Miranda seemed to win - plus I hate anything bloated or with large footprint - Trillian suffered that accusation

16. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

You are suppost to be able to chat with people on aim with icq also. I could'nt get it to work though.

My personal opinion is that trillian rox. I just wish they would come out with more skins, and make the emoticons more compatible.

17. SPeedY_B

You can talk with AiM->ICQ and ICQ->AiM.. I did it without any troubles.

18. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

It did'nt for me dude. I put my aim buddy names in and they would'nt show up as being logged on when they were. I figured it was still beta so I just dropped it.

19. generalleoff

generalleoff I Use MS Paint

the AIM ICQ intercompatability only works on the most recent pro build and the last handfull of lite builds of ICQ and also reuires one of the more recent builds of AIM to work as well. Meaning you cant use the older less bloted 4.x builds of AIM.

Also all clients you wish to speak to must use a compatable AIM/ICQ client as well. So even if you downlod the latest version of AIM/ICQ if your buddys all are still on older builds it will not work with them.

SPeedY_B likes this.
  20. ApparitionX

ApparitionX Sick of it all.

maybe try trillian pro. I know it's a bummer that it costs $, but from what I hear from friends that use it, it's alot more stable....personally, I love trill. haven't had any problems with it since the "h" version came out...*knock on wood.
    did hafta change some port settings though.