Transparent Sigs/etc

N

Not Bman

I'm doing pretty good as a Graphic Designer, I know how to do this and that etc, you know everything I pretty much need to know, execpt one thing. If you look at my sig, its kinda scrachy and messed up at the edges. This is because I don't know how to save, or make a proper transparent file. I make what I want, and then I saved it as Gif, and this is howit turns out.....

Go to "Save for Web" and choose "Gif" as your format. Then you want to tick the box that says "Transparency". Then click on "Matte" and choose the color of the background of forum posts, which would be #f5f5ff.

Basically with the "matte", photoshop takes your image and adds some "f5f5ff" around the edges, so that it appears to be transparent, when it infact its just the same color as the background. So it's an illusion. By default its white, and that's why the corners on your sig are white, and therefore jaggy.

Alternatively you could just save it as a PNG and screw all the IE users.

P.S. The "I know pretty much everything" attitude is bad :p

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 169
So there is no real way, if u want it nice and smooth, to have it transparent for all sites the same.... lol

Bman™ said:
So there is no real way, if u want it nice and smooth, to have it transparent for all sites the same.... lol

There is. You can use PNGs. But then you face the problem of IE not being able to display PNGs properly. Which means 90% of the Internet won't be able to see your image properly.

So there is a way, but due to some ****ty code in IE, it doesn't work as its supposed to.

lol, alright I'll remember that...screw IE users lmao (unless you are one)

Thanks alot man, I have finally figured out web images now!

Very good info ideed GM, reps coming :)

EDIT: Have to spread it around, sigh :(

I have a list of people I owe rep to, I'll add you to it ;)

Grandmaster you are the man. I have been trying to figure something like that out for a while now; as transparency don't work well for me either.

any transperant png's i make look fine in IE and ofcourse firefox; (with photoshop)

There is a reason I use png as my Sig format. :rolleyes:

*In a very low wisper* I use Firefox and Mozilla.

*In a very loud voice* IE? IE!? I don't need no stinkin IE.

Maybe IE 7 can handle the png truth. :p

But if you really want to stick with gif images then ya have to edit them after ya save them. Blow them up big and fill in the shiitty spots. But ya don't always get them all. And it don't always works. :(

Your sig looks just fine for me, and I use IE exclusively :p

*In a very bad Elvis voice* Well thank you very muuuch. :D

I agree with the png. I think that is the best way to go.

I have tryed a couple new images, and PNG seems to work the best.

Why that croppy border Bman™ ? :suprised:
( PNG is recommend for quality & transparency )
Cosmin

kcnychief said:
Very good info ideed GM, reps coming :)

EDIT: Have to spread it around, sigh :(

I have a list of people I owe rep to, I'll add you to it ;)
Finally was able to throw some rep at you GM. I went on a spree of giving people some rep this morning, now I'm exhausted ;)

A "poorman's" way to make a gif with true transparency is to use MS Photo Editor. It came as part of all versions of Office before Office 2003. It has a really easy to use transparency tool, you just click the color you want transparent and presto, it becomes invisible. You can even select "% values" near to the color you selected to be included. And, you can select as many different colors as you want. I use it as a quick way to strip a specific color(s) or range of a color(s) from an image before I use it. I also use it to quickly add transparency to the frames of the animated gifs I create. As in:
smashbmw.gif
stangfire3.gif
tmi.gif

Plus, gifs (both static and animated) with transparency work in IE.:)

I have usually said "screw it" for the IE users an go w/png's. Except for teh animations of course. :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back