transparent login screen

electrickpirate

pirate extraordinaire
is there a tweek, setting ,or if need be, a seperate program that will lock the screen like going to the login screen (win key + l) and require a pasword to to log in that shows whatever is on the desktop. either just the desktop, the currently open windows, whatever is displayed when i run that program?

So you want your desktop to be the login screen, just with the password area in the middle? Sounds sweet.....I myself have not heard of anything that does this. This would be very cool to get.

yea, pretty much. like just having the box show up that contains the user icon, account name, and place for the password, but youd still be able to see the start bar, and all that, even if it just kinda takes a screen shot at the time its activated. doesn't need to display everything up to date like showing the correct time in the taskbar.

since im not the only one interested....

bump

I haven't been able to find what you posted but I did find something similer. This program allows you to lock your "workstation" and gives you the option of shuting down or logoff. As well as some other things...just check it out.

http://www.soft32.com/download_25648.html

yea, thats kind of it, but was hoping that the window/box to log back in wasnt so big, also, $50.00. a little high for just a lock program.

but thanks for looking.

If you want if fancy, you'll need 3rd party programs, otherwise, in Windows XP, just disable the "Welcome Screen" and you'll be able to lock your workstation by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL/Lock Computer.

All that this leaves on the screen is a box saying "This computer has been locked. Only [User name here] or an administrator can unlock it..."

To change that setting, go to the Control Panel and open User Accounts.
Then click "Change the way users log on" and uncheck the Show Welcome Screen option.

Make sure all your user accounts have a password and taht you know the username, because afterwards, when you load your PC, you won't have the welcome screen anymore, you'll have a box that asks you for a username/password.

That is the default setup for office PC's all over...

xtweaker, well, that work part way. it keeps my wallpaper when it goes to login screen, but i was looking more for something that still displayed the rest of my desktop. i use rainlendar and clocx and also wanted to have the start bar/task bar visable, i dont need it to be upto day as in have the clocx on my desktop still show the right time neccessarily, but just have the normal user login box show(non-alt control delete box) so ican atleast still see the calendar. it would be ideal though for it to show the right time, and also display # of new emails like some login screens do.

thanks anyway, your suggestion is about 1/2 way there.

This might be what you are looking for.

Computer Lock Up
Standard and transparent modes of locking

The program can work in two modes of computer locking: standard and transparent. In the first case a special screen is shown when computer is locked up. This enables to hide current information on the screen from other users when you are absent. For unlocking the system it's necessary to enter the correct password. In case you want to lock computer without any visible changes, you can use the transparent mode for screen locking. In this case the screen remains unchanged while the keyboard and the mouse are locked until the correct password is entered.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back