Transparency in Photoshop 7

Discussion in 'Desktop Customisation' started by Piett, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Piett

Piett ...will circle this city

I'm trying to get the area around my avatar, and in the middle of it, transparent. I don't know where it is in photoshop, and how i thought you did it obviously didn't work. could someone tell me how i get parts to be transparent?

thanks in advance

2. jawshoouh

jawshoouh Guest

when it's a quick and easy job, i usually duplicate the layer and make the underneath one empty (Ctrl+A, Delete), then use the Magic Wand to select sections (of similar color) of the top-most layer that i want gone, and hit Delete. if you've got a lot of colors surrounding the section of the image you want deleted (look at all the background colors in my sig and then at the transparant gif in my avatar), i use the freehand select tool and delete the unwanted colors in a most tedious manner--one pixel at a time if need be. then do a Save for Web from the File menu, select GIF, check off Transparent, and you're good to go. maybe i dunno what i'm doin, i never took any photoshop training, but that's how i've been doin it...

cheers :)

3. Piett

okay, cool. i'll give it a whirl...probably tomarrow (11:30pm now). i'll let you know how it goes.

4. Monkeh

Monkeh Guest

filter, extract (or something like that)

remember to zoom it to get a smooth border around the object.
    or try the magic wand and set the tolarance to 20 or below.

5. Piett

alright, thanks for the suggestion Monkeh, appreciate it.