transfer files through usb connection

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by dayneh88, May 26, 2002.

1. dayneh88

dayneh88 Guest

just a question
    is it possible to send files from one computer to another one through usb
    reply asap
    thanks dayne
  2. Iceman

Iceman Moderator

Sure it is check this link,

USB file transfer cable

There are many others out there also, just go to Office Max or Depot or anywhere else.

3. dayneh88

dayneh88 Guest

no i mean with a standard usb cable in xp
  4. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

Arlington, TX
    No. The reason is because of termination. It's kind of difficult to explain, so I'll try my best.

The head of a USB cable is made of two parts, the sending side (we'll call it S), and the receiving side (we'll call it R). There is one S and one R on each side of the USB cable. so your cable looks like this:

When data is sent from a device, it must go to the appropriate side of the cable. Thus, If I'm sending from left to right, it should match up like this:

I'm sending from one side to the receiving end of the other.

However, computers are fixed USB devices (as with all cable terminators). Thus, the S and the R of the computers are the same. When you send from one computer to the next, you are actually sending from one side to the sending part of the other:

Thus, the data will not transfer. You need a intermediate device that will reverse the SR signals so that the computers can read the information. The only way to do this is with a USB file transfer cable.