Toshiba laptop power supply question

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hi All,

I have a client's Toshiba A70 laptop withe me here.

What is happening with this is that when it is shut down, the power supply is recharging the battery, no problem.

But when I power up and run the laptop, it runs on battery alone until it dies, even with the power supply plugged in.

There is even a LED at the front of the unit telling me that the powersupply is recharging the battery, the LED turns off when laptop is powered up.

Anyone know how to fix this so that the power supply is recharging the battery and running the laptop while it's on?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

Update:

I have tested the load on the power supply, everything is fine there.

I am now able to empty the battery, from full charge to zero, in 40 minutes, running virus scan and defrag.

But I am still trying to figure out why the laptop stops using the power supply when it is powered up, it will only run on battery, when powered up and running. Power supply charges up battery when laptop is shut down.

I do know that I need a new battery if it is getting killed in 40 minutes.

Anyone might be able to shed some light on this for me?

Thanks in advance,

Heeter

I dont know, on my old thosiba laptop, my battery went bad fast and the power supply went bad had to buy one on ebay for 26 bucks. But you prob seem diffrent, not charging when power is on, kind fo weird, but ill look into it.

its a known problem, i fix it at work. crack the laptop open and get the motherboard out. solder the pins top and bottom of the board where the DC jack is. i think your model is 4 earth pins, 1 positive at the back. it charges as it doesnt use a lot of current when the laptops off, soon as you try to fire up it says no. this can also be when 1 of the earth pins has come loose and burnt the solder away. at worst its a £10 part. pm me is you need help getting a jack if yours isnt solderable.

this used to happen on my old toshiba A70, was a dam pain. it didn't do it everytime, only about 4 times a week. normally a powerdown would fix it so that the battery started charging.

Thanks for all your help guys,

I am going to get that laptop back next week. I will crack it open when I do get it back. I do have a proper soldering iron as well.

Thanks again, and I will PM you Gonzo if I have more questions....

Heeter

Ha, I was going to post this sometime today, you read my mind!!!!

I just fixed it last night, super easy, like you said.

I even laid more solder on the other 3 contacts, looks like they were ready to come apart too! I had one cracked pin.

Thanks a million for your help, really, really appreciate it, Gonzo

Heeter

nice one, if your charging, it runs between £100-£150 at our shop for that service !
half the price of a new board install :dead:

Many a laptop that I have worked on has had problems with the DC jack, most of them because the cable got pulled tight as the owner would lie down, causing the plug on the motherboard to eventually break.

Ive had to fix a few of these, and really, I don't understand why they are not made more sturdy.

i think it comes down to causing minimal damage to the rest of the laptop, they are crap mountings, even the USB have better contact !

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back