Torrent Downloading going very slowly

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey guys,
I have been having a problem with my torrent downloading lately. It doesn't matter the torrent they all go slow, I get a max Down speed of 100kb/s and it also doesn't matter what torrent application i use (Utorrent, Bit Comet, Tixati) I am assuming that this is because of p2p throttling by my isp?

My speedtest.net results:

Show that I do get a much better download speed than the 100kb/s i get downloading a torrent. I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions to increase performance of torrents/circumvent the throttling if you think thats what it is.

It's very annoying and in Utorrent I've enabled outgoing protocol encryption as was suggested somewhere else but it hasn't had any effect. I feel like this may be an issue I'll be stuck with until I leave this ISP but if you have any suggestions it would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

How many seeds are there? Is DHT running? A lot of it has to do with the other end. I have had some with 1 seed that ran pretty fast, and then have had some with 100 seeds that ran like a turtle.

How many seeds are there? Is DHT running? A lot of it has to do with the other end. I have had some with 1 seed that ran pretty fast, and then have had some with 100 seeds that ran like a turtle.
Its been consistently slow for a while though, no matter the torrent... And before it was slow, it was very fast which makes me think the isp did something.
DHT is running, and I've tried torrents with (according to TPB) 3000 seeders, the ones im downloading right now I think have 300 seeders.
Right now, I'm using Tixati because I wanted to see if I messed up a setting in Utorrent which I apparently didn't :(

It could very well be that your ISP is throttling torrent files then. A way to get around that is to change the port. Use a higher port like 50,000 or higher.

It could very well be that your ISP is throttling torrent files then. A way to get around that is to change the port. Use a higher port like 50,000 or higher.
tried the port change, Utorrent had mine at 58,000 to begin with though... Didn't work :(
I bought BTGuard (at least for this month to try it) but it doesn't seem to be working. I get the same speeds as I do without it (I also tried the BTGuard Encryption). I'm connected via a router so im not sure if there is something I'm supposed to do there. Don't know if anyone here has any experience with BTGuard but if you do it would be great to figure out the best setup with a router, etc. I emailed the people at BTGuard that I paid for their software and haven't gotten a response yet (2 days ago)...
Thanks!

Did you open the port in your router?

Did you open the port in your router?
Well I did, and i had it set to do it on its own, but I dont think it made a difference and I wasn't quite sure if BTGuard wanted me too. Still havent gotten any help from them...

It is hard to say what it can be. I hope you get it fixed. You seem to have done everything to check it out. Give me a link or two of the torrents you are trying to download and I will see if it does it on my end as well?

It is hard to say what it can be. I hope you get it fixed. You seem to have done everything to check it out. Give me a link or two of the torrents you are trying to download and I will see if it does it on my end as well?
Hey man, here is the test torrent they say to use on their website:
https://btguard.com/test.torrent

Hmm, I'm not surprised. I was getting around 1.3Megs down before they started throttling torrent speed. I have a netgear rangemax router (the computer is also connected via ethernet to the router). The router used to work well for torrent downloading but I may have changed something around I guess after BTGuard didn't seem to work. Ill take it out of the equation and try BTGuard.
Thanks!

I get 2.5 to 3MB/s with that test file.

What router do you have?

3700?

I get 2.5 to 3MB/s with that test file.

What router do you have?

3700?
no no no lol, the one Im using on this connection is much older than that lol. Its the WPN824
But the router shouldnt be the problem. I know this router can transmit great speeds as it was downloading torrents like I said at 1.3 megs before it seems they started throttling, plus I'm using my desktop which is hard wired not wireless. I could get another router if that was the issue but I highly doubt it is.

^ On that note, the check mark is not illuminated anymore. I hard reset the router and Software reset the router to no avail. I dont know if its supposed to be lit up but I could have sworn that it always used to be.

Oh by the way anybody used a seedbox? I feel like this is my last resort if I cant get BTGuard to work, I actually signed up for a 7 bucks a month one and am waiting for them to set it up (through SeedBox Hosting) Im worried about it being located overseas but we'll see I guess. What a hassle this stupid ISP has put me through...

if you can find a good one seedboxes are great.

One way around your ISP throttling is to use port 80 or 443 :)

if you can find a good one seedboxes are great.

One way around your ISP throttling is to use port 80 or 443 :)
No Dice on the port :( I opened 80 and set it to go through that (both in BTGuard and on regular utorrent).
I could try 443 but i doubt it would have an effect.
Im assuming this ISP put a lot of effort into throttling torrents because they actually list it as a positive on their website...

I was suggesting 80 or 443 as these are for web traffic and likely not throttled. You could force encyrpted connections only on those ports and see what happens.

Otherwise I'd suggest and alternative provider.

I was suggesting 80 or 443 as these are for web traffic and likely not throttled. You could force encyrpted connections only on those ports and see what happens.

Otherwise I'd suggest and alternative provider.
I had a feeling thats what those ports were for. Yea i had force encryption only on as well :(
Unfortunately, there is not another provider unless I want to get hughes net...(which I don't)
Im just hoping I guess at this point that a seed box works.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back