Tiscali boots off heavy users

BonyTony

OSNN Senior Addict
Tiscali UK is to boot off a bunch of heavy users tomorrow after they ignored requests to reduce their online usage to less than 150 hours a month.

This is for users on its 56k Anytime dial-up service....so if you spend more than 5 hours a day on average you will have your service terminated:( .

Well i for one can say whan i was on dial-up i would spend 6 hours min on a week night and possibly 12 hours + sat and sunday...5 hours a day aint enough....i spend even more time now online with having broadband:p .

Anyone wishing to read the full artical read it at the Register

Thankfully Freeserve (the dial-up provider I am with now) use more than one company to provide their FRIACO ports (3 companies if I'm not mistaken) and BT is one of the lesser used dial-ins, so Freeserve can offer their users a better service.

Not that I care, My exchange is going to be DSL enabled on wednesday :D

I noticed that just after I posted, can we say "irony" :D

quite wierd as I was on their literally 10 mins ago.

anyway, it's £50 setup, and £19.99/mo and apparently a good service (geffy's server had an uptime/connection of 42 days before a power cut the other day)

aha, my browser had cached the page (woot :p)

Griffin Internet CopperStream 500 Home is our entry level self install ADSL service. It is designed to provide broadband Internet access for home users with one or more computers.

Upto 500Kb/s Download Speed
Upto 250Kb/s Upload Speed
Maximum 50:1 Contention Ratio
24 x 7 Unlimited Internet Access
Unlimited EMail Addresses
100Mb Free Webspace
* Upto 5 Static IP Addresses
* NEW Quad virus scanning of inbound and outbound e-mail
* NEW Spam filtering of inbound and outbound e-mail

Setup Charge: £ 50.00
Monthly Charge: £ 19.99

This service is provided is self-install. This means that you will need to provide your own ADSL modem or router to be able to use the service. Griffin Internet provides a range of suitable modems and routers that can be supplied to you pre-configured. You will also need to buy at least one microfilter.

actually its not cached, take a look here > http://www.griffin.net.uk/internetaccess/adsl/default.asp

Must just be something on the front page thats using their (bork) database :p

Aha, you're a cable user, blueyonder I see (behold mod powers :D :p) whats their service like?

As the only other major cable provider is NTL, and I've only ever heard bad things about them ...

xxxxx-xxxx-xxx-xxx.cableinet.co.uk :)

It's good to know that there are decent cable suppliers, It's always been in my mind that :
DSL = good
Cable = bad

But I suppose thats because around here we've only recently had DSL and the slightly further regions have NTL supplying them. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back