Tired of getting GoogleCanada or other countries @ google.com?

Discussion in 'Green Room' started by Pynapl, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Pynapl

Pynapl Guest

if you go to google.com and are always automatically redirected to the google page modified for your country, there's a neat way to bypass it... just go to http://www.google.com. (INCLUDE the period at the end)

just found it a couple days ago with a friend ;)
  2. Qumahlin

Qumahlin Moderator

Well heck I didn't know know google had sites for other countries lol!
  3. cableman_xp

cableman_xp Guest

hehe Qumahlin... That's one of the (dis-)advantages of living "over there" ;)

btw. Is there an obvious diff. on the original google.com(dot) and my danish version (except the lang. of course!) ?
    I mean, it's basically the same engine (=same search results) right ?

Damn - I get redirected to the danish google no matter how many periods I add in the address bar *lol*

OK... keep your US version for yourself :p

4. stef_nz

stef_nz Guest

anyone who would like to use the us version of google and can't get that period thing to work (it gives me the "english" version). use one of these links instead.....

i personally guarantee it!

i don't know how the back end for google works but when altavista did the same thing ages ago, i know they didn't keep their databases synchronised very well and our local altavista search results were months old so i always use the us version!
  5. Lactic.Acid

Lactic.Acid Guest

If you have powertoys installed, you can set an alias character to represent a search engine. The way this can work to your advantage, is go to google.com and choose an advanced search and specify your goofy options like language, number of results, etc. and search for something simple like "BAR". Now copy the URL of the page you're at, and go into TweakUI to the search alias part and create a new alias "g". In the address of your search, past in that URL and replace BAR with %s, I think it is. (It'll say where to put the search terms.)

Now, whenever you want to search for something, to to IE/explorer/address bar and type "g search terms go here now" and it'll search with the settings you specified.
  6. freightgod

freightgod Confused and Bewildered

...and type "g" followed by your search terms
  7. freightgod

hmmm...did you test that search thing out before posting? it doesn't seem to work for me...sounds cool, though
  8. freightgod

sorry, yes it does work, very cool :)