tip

D

dotbatman

Saw this today on Lockergnome:

"When the courier drops off a package, someone must sign for it to verify the transaction. The same holds true for drivers in Windows 2000 and XP. Despite the whining of legacy-loving lusers (local users), this is a fantastic feature. Nine times out of ten, Windows doesn't crash Windows. Buggy drivers, on the other hand, have been known to cause countless contentions. Microsoft instituted "driver signing" to stop problems before they started. If an installed driver is NOT signed, caveat clickor (let the user beware). Use VERIFIER.EXE - the Driver Verifier Manager - to gather information about and troubleshoot your system's drivers. Admittedly, this tool was specifically designed with ubergeeks (and driver developers) in mind. For details and usage guidelines, refer to article Q244617 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base. Check with hardware manufacturers to see if there are WHQL (Windows Hardware Quality Labs) certified drivers available for your device(s). They may not be optimized for speed, but stability is sometimes more important."

Hope someone might find this helpful!

Great tip - I wish I had seen it before having to "reinvent" the wheel. I've also posted something similar after encountering application drivers that didn't want to play nice with Windows XP.

Only problem in using it is a lack of good clear & concise instructions on how to do so. This is typical of "Microscraps" bulletins though. Have you ever found a third party write up on the verifier tool that is better? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back