Tip: Do not update/backup Win 7

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by Heeter, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Heeter

Heeter Overclocked Like A Mother

Hey all,

Well, I bring home this win7 machine from work yesterday. Pretty excited about trying this new OS at home.

So I hookup an external drive to it, and I fire up the Win7 backup.

Everything is going fine.

Oh look, there is a few Important security updates available. I select to install them at the same time that the backup is happening.

Little did I know...............

I have not been able to boot into Windows 7 normally since the crash last night.

I am going to try to do a system restore off the original disc when I get it from the office tomorrow.

Tip: Don't try an update/backup with Win7 64bit at the same time.......................

I know that my 64bit opensuse machines don't do this, I use cron for backup.

Heeter

2. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

yea..... not the greatest thing when you're trying to update data you're trying to backup.

3. Heeter

LOLOL

I find this pretty funny

Heeter

4. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

It's good that you are taking it that way, It might seem rather obvious now, but as they say hindsight is 20/20

5. Heeter

Hindsight 20/20, you got that right, FG.

I am actually amazed at how resilient Windows 7 is. After about half hour of humming and hawing, it fired right back up.

Everyone has had a chance at killing this machine at the office, it's wobbled around like a drunken sailor a few times, been pitch black on bootup, Black Screens Of Death, but it has always come back from certain death without fresh install. Thanks for System Restore.

Windows7 is making me a believer.

Heeter

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Windows 7 is the best OS they came out with to date ..