Tip: Do not update/backup Win 7

Heeter

Overclocked Like A Mother
Hey all,

Well, I bring home this win7 machine from work yesterday. Pretty excited about trying this new OS at home.

So I hookup an external drive to it, and I fire up the Win7 backup.

Everything is going fine.

Oh look, there is a few Important security updates available. I select to install them at the same time that the backup is happening.

Little did I know...............

I have not been able to boot into Windows 7 normally since the crash last night.

I am going to try to do a system restore off the original disc when I get it from the office tomorrow.

Tip: Don't try an update/backup with Win7 64bit at the same time.......................

I know that my 64bit opensuse machines don't do this, I use cron for backup.

Heeter

yea..... not the greatest thing when you're trying to update data you're trying to backup.

It's good that you are taking it that way, It might seem rather obvious now, but as they say hindsight is 20/20

Hindsight 20/20, you got that right, FG.

I am actually amazed at how resilient Windows 7 is. After about half hour of humming and hawing, it fired right back up.

Everyone has had a chance at killing this machine at the office, it's wobbled around like a drunken sailor a few times, been pitch black on bootup, Black Screens Of Death, but it has always come back from certain death without fresh install. Thanks for System Restore.

Windows7 is making me a believer.

Heeter

Windows 7 is the best OS they came out with to date ..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back